Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #1 
FearlessLiter

New Betta Owner

Housing
What size is your tank? Half gallon, perhaps? He's in a vase right now, the poor dear, but I will be buying something more suitable.
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Solitary

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tropical Flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once every morning.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? I just got him, but I plan on changing it everyday
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None, I use spring water

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? No.
If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? I bought him bad shape and he seems to have perked up already, but he has a long way to go.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? not really, but he is more active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Immediately
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?Just bought him.

How does one age a fish?

I bought a crowntail in poor condition. Someone mentioned he has Ich. He also has this "lent" at the end of his fin spikes. I just want him to get healthy and get happy. How can I do this without spending too much money? Also, my other betta, Horatio, is in a one gallon tank with a filter. How often should I change his water? (I changed it yesterday).

Thanks!

Name:  Quasi3.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  99.6 KB
FearlessLiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:10 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

In a half gallon tank unfiltered and no live plants with an already compromised condition (fish shop) I would start making 100% daily water changes, if after 3-4 days he is not improved-I would start- aquarium salt 1tsp/gal 10 day treatment along with the 100% daily water changes.

I like to pre-mix my salt in a 1gal jug to make water changes and dosage easier
Try and keep the water temp within a couple of degree from new and old water and use dechlorinator with any new water if on city water supply.

In your 1gal filtered tank-I would make 50% twice weekly water changes-include substrate cleaning with one of the twice weekly water changes.
In the smaller tanks-sometimes it is easier to use the stir and dip method-unplug both the heater and filter, give the substrate a stir to bring the waste up into the water column and dip half the water out with a plastic cup and replace with like temp dechlorinated water-plug the filter and heater back in-the water should clear within an hour or so, monitor the water temp for several hour. You can do this with the Betta still in the tank.
Give your filter media a swish/rinse in old tank water 1-2 times a month and when the water flow slows to get the big pieces of gunk off

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 10-02-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #3 
FearlessLiter

Thank you OldFishLady! I was hoping you would answer!
FearlessLiter is offline   Reply With Quote