Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 
Posaune

Lucky Bamboo

What's everyones opinions on lucky bamboo? I bought one for my tank (the leaves are out of water). I'm using fishing line to train the new shoots too, having it go straight up would be boring :P. I've heard mixed reviews about it, some say don't get it some say go ahead but keep the leaves out of the water.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #2 
carpenter547
Banned

just a statement of fact lucky bamboo care states that the soil should be allowed to dry out between waterings. i would suspect / expect that failure to do this would cause issues that need to be solved for long term health of the plant and or full life of the plant.

but for like 2 -3 buck each they aren't hard to replace just time consuming to retrain.
carpenter547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 
vaygirl

A couple people on here have said they rot and make a huge mess. That's probably because, like Carpenter said, they need to dry out between waterings?
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #4 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaygirl View Post
A couple people on here have said they rot and make a huge mess. That's probably because, like Carpenter said, they need to dry out between waterings?
While not in an aquarium I have had a lucky bamboo growing for 3 years with the bottom 3 inches of the plant constantly submersed in water. It never gets a dry out. It has not grown all that much, but it also is still very much alive and has never has an issue with rot. I think you might be OK as long as a good portion of the plant (definitely the leaves) are out of the water. If it starts to rot, just make sure to pull it out ASAP.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote