Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #1 
TharBePirates

Question Feeding Your Bettas Meat

Anyone else feed their fish meat?

I've heard about being able to give bettas small bits of turkey, chicken or beef. So last night when we had chicken (rotisserie) we took small pieces of breast meat and dipped them in the boys tanks.

They went nuts.

When Roommate began to remove the piece of chicken in Jeffery's bowl he latched onto it and started to be dragged out of the water. Also, he tried to bit her! Gyarados latched on, thrashed around and tore a chunk off. He carried it around in his mouth for awhile before wolfing it down and picking all of the pieces up off of the gravel.

Does anyone else do this? They love it, but I think we're only going to feed meat once a week for some variety in their diet.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #2 
Lion Mom

Interesting! I have often wondered about feeding them meat, but have been afraid to try. Would LOVE to hear from some more experienced members on this subject!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #3 
1fish2fish

Mammal and avian protein is not good to feed to bettas. Their digestive systems are not equipped to digest those meats. A better alternative would be raw or cooked fish/ seafood.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:05 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fish2fish View Post
Mammal and avian protein is not good to feed to bettas. Their digestive systems are not equipped to digest those meats. A better alternative would be raw or cooked fish/ seafood.
Thanks so much for that info. I was getting ready to get out some left over roast chicken!!!

One more question, if you don't mind. If mammal protein isn't good for them, why do so many owners feed beef heart? I never have, but I know that many do.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #5 
1fish2fish

I'm not sure. I've always stayed away from it myself. Its possible that maybe it is easier to digest than say a piece of hamburger.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

I'm not sure either, but thought (hoped) you might know. I've never tried it myself because, like I said earlier, I'm just too scared.

I figure ALL my fish - bettas, cichlids, livebearers, etc. - do GREAT with what I'm doing so I don't want to mess with it. :)
Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM   #7 
BettaGirl290

imma get out the bloodworms insted.. THEY LOVE THEM! specially my females.(wink, wink!)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:05 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Be careful feeding oils and fats from the meats-especial pre-cooked foods-this can foul the water pretty fast-internal organs of beef are often used in homemade food without problem

I make my own fish food with shrimp and/or fresh fish-both par-boiled and raw without any problems daily for years.

Offering small amount of meats are good for Bettas-just be careful and don't foul the water-remove any uneaten food ASAP
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote