Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 12:40 AM   #11 
nochoramet

Yeah, plecos and ottos are wayyy different. I know plecos get way to big to be housed with a betta. And ottos require at least 10g because they are schooling fish and like to have friends. And anything smaller than that is too small to have enough friends for your otto.
That's about the extent of my knowledge lol
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 AM   #12 
Adastra

You should take it back whether it is an oto or a pleco. If you have any love for Bobby, you should want what's best for him, and a five gallon tank with a betta is not a good place for him at all. You need to understand that otoclinus catfish are all wild caught--what this means, is that they are very sensitive to problems that occur in captivity such as poor water quality and fluctuations in water parameters because they didn't grow up in a captive environment. This also means that your oto will not eat prepared food like algae pellets or sinking wafers because they never were exposed to that in the wild. Many otos eat exclusively algae, and of all the possible species of algae that you could grow in your tank, they only eat a few specific kinds. They are only recommended for larger mature tanks over a year old, because these are the only setups that can cultivate enough algae for them to have a constant supply of the specific types of algae they eat. Otos are also a social species, they need companions in order to feel secure and to express their social behaviors. A life of isolation is cruel to these fish, and a 5 gallon tank simply cannot support a group, and it is not fair to him to wait until the time when it is convenient for you to get a 10G tank. Plus the fact that the betta will likely torture the poor thing.

If you love your fish, you'll do the right thing and return him. Almost all pet stores will take fish, even ones that you did not buy the fish from. You may not get your money back, but most will at least give you a store credit, or a coupon.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:24 PM   #13 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
You should take it back whether it is an oto or a pleco. If you have any love for Bobby, you should want what's best for him, and a five gallon tank with a betta is not a good place for him at all. You need to understand that otoclinus catfish are all wild caught--what this means, is that they are very sensitive to problems that occur in captivity such as poor water quality and fluctuations in water parameters because they didn't grow up in a captive environment. This also means that your oto will not eat prepared food like algae pellets or sinking wafers because they never were exposed to that in the wild. Many otos eat exclusively algae, and of all the possible species of algae that you could grow in your tank, they only eat a few specific kinds. They are only recommended for larger mature tanks over a year old, because these are the only setups that can cultivate enough algae for them to have a constant supply of the specific types of algae they eat. Otos are also a social species, they need companions in order to feel secure and to express their social behaviors. A life of isolation is cruel to these fish, and a 5 gallon tank simply cannot support a group, and it is not fair to him to wait until the time when it is convenient for you to get a 10G tank. Plus the fact that the betta will likely torture the poor thing.

If you love your fish, you'll do the right thing and return him. Almost all pet stores will take fish, even ones that you did not buy the fish from. You may not get your money back, but most will at least give you a store credit, or a coupon.
I really love Bobby...I dont wanna give him back...but I dont want him to die or live and be sad...I dont want him to be killed by some1 that buys fishies to kill them...can any of you take Bobby? I know you guys wouldnt hurt him ):
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:40 AM   #14 
Adastra

That's not really plausible unless someone happens to live nearby and happens to have a setup suitable for your fish. You can try looking up local aquarium societies and clubs in your area--typically those people are quite helpful and understanding and will help you rehome your fish. You could also post an ad on your local craigslist.
Old 10-05-2010, 09:44 PM   #15 
Rawriie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adastra View Post
That's not really plausible unless someone happens to live nearby and happens to have a setup suitable for your fish. You can try looking up local aquarium societies and clubs in your area--typically those people are quite helpful and understanding and will help you rehome your fish. You could also post an ad on your local craigslist.
Thanks ^^ && for some reason, I find joo rude <.<
Rawriie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:59 PM   #16 
Adastra

Sometimes in order to help people and their animals, you have to tell them things they don't want to hear. It can be hard to do the right thing, but I think once you do some research for yourself, you'll see that the best option really is to give your oto to someone who has the means take care of him better.

I get frustrated by a lot of situations that arise on this forum, sometimes on bad days I come off as a bit abrasive. However, please keep in mind that I wouldn't put so much effort into my posts if I weren't trying to help, please try to be understanding of myself and other members in this respect.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #17 
JKfish

Rawrie, Adastra is completely right. Yes, she can be a bit more blunt than other members, but honestly I doubt she's ever said anything that is incorrect or truely meant to be hurtful ever on this forum.

If you just so happen to live near me in Ga, I could take him until you could set up a cycled 10 gallon. There is now enough room ( :/ ) in my 10 gallon tank for two or three ottos, and I could probably grow algae for them.

Last edited by JKfish; 10-05-2010 at 11:33 PM.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

JKFish is right. Adastra is only trying to help and all of us here want what is best for Bobby. I know you love Bobby and it would be hard to give up something you love.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote