Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #11 
metalbetta

I once read a saying (on another forum) that goes:

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Seems to be true.

...I hate people.
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #12 
purplemuffin

Oh don't mention peta! ;P they would solve it by continuing to say we should never have pets!
In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether.” -Ingrid Newkirk

She would actually hate us all, we keep animals and some of us BREED them! :O

It sucks how people really don't know or acknowledge the life of animals like fish.. With education comes care. When enough people know about their intelligence, needs, and the joys they bring, they will come around. People are mostly just ignorant. And it's a bad thing when a violent kid is ignorant!!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #13 
FuulieQ

Yes, I agree. PETA is way to radical for me. I just don't like to see people abusing the animals they're supposed to care for, that's all.
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 11:55 PM   #14 
metalbetta

I hear it from my friends all the time about "why do you keep FISH? Why don't you get a ferret or something?"

People don't get it.

And DONT get me started on PETA. They're way too extreme for their own good.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #15 
purplemuffin

Fish are so cute! :) My favorite thing about going to the beach is when they poke my toes!

It's sad, but an inevitable part of life until people learn more about animals. Reptiles suffer the same fate, honestly. It's the poor silent scaley cuties that get hurt! :(
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:29 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't value the lives of animals the way we do here. To a lot of people the value of a fish's life is maybe slightly higher than a bug's life. What scares me is what would happen to my fish if something happened to me. My brother or my mom would probably flush them than to take the time to find homes for them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #17 
ForbiddenSecrets

I dislike PETA greatly and their effort to save fish was flat out stupidity. They called them Sea Kittens and made up the most ridicilious stories for why people should not eat fish ect~

Just go and read them and see if you can take them seriously.

That aside though it really is such a shame the way people treat fish :c Some fish die from owners not understanding their care [i.e 1/2 gallon tanks] and its a real shame and hopefully can be lessened but out right abuse is disgusting.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #18 
metalbetta

The world needs more people like the ones on this forum. I bet the combined efforts of people here have put a huge dent in the betta/fish mistreatment problem. I love reading the rescue stories you guys post, and watching your fish brighten up and thrive!
I'm not sure with the way things are going that the issues they have in petstores, and the misinformation they give to potential owners will ever be stopped entirely, but it's always so great to see that some are getting great homes.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:47 AM   #19 
nochoramet

I just lol'd at the whole "sea kittens" thing... really? That's kind of missing the point of a fish. Trying to make them seem cuddly by comparing them to kittens. They're fish. They are not kittens. They still deserve respect though. PETA has its priorities messed up. Hopefully I don't offend anyone by saying that but I agree with y'all, they're just too extreme for me!
nochoramet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #20 
ForbiddenSecrets

You can't change the stores - what you have to do is change the /people/. The more the masses become educated the less they will buy the torture tanks. When the venue on those go down the stores will seek to create profit by supplying what is in demand and shift their attention onto whatever will be making them money.

Maybe we should start to make proper YouTube videos for one. There are so many out there that are just incorrect to a point of negligence. If we put more correct info out there in an easy to digest manor maybe more people would know.
ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote