Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2010, 07:54 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

Plants + Airstones??

Hay guys!!

I really want to plant up my tank!!! lol What type of plants do you suggest? I would like a variety of cool plants (but they don't need to be different colors). Do I need to put substrate under them? Could I just add plant food to the water? I was thinking about floating plants, but figured they'd be tossed around in the current.

Also...

What's an airstone?? I know they're stones that put air into the water but... how does it work? If I buy an airstone does it need to go into something? A tube? Can I just leave an airstone by itself and will it release the air? Do I need it if I have a planted tank???

This is a big question I would definitely love answered. "Do I need substrate for the plants or can I just give them 'plant food'?"

Thanks!
~Alissa
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:51 PM   #2 
Alex09

Some plants such as wisteria, hornwort, and anacharis can be left floating. But other typed of plants such as amazon sword need to have substrate. It really depends on the plant you have.
An airstone is a little device link that connects to airline tubing which is connected to a pump. The pump blows air which is passed through the tubing and then goes through the airstone. The airstone's job is to break up the large bubbles that come out of the tube into tiny bubbles.

Last edited by Alex09; 10-03-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM   #3 
Fawnleaf

so are the airstones+tube+pump expensive??
Old 10-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #4 
JorgeBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawnleaf View Post
so are the airstones+tube+pump expensive??
They are relatively cheap, but totally unnecessary. The big purpose is to add oxygen to the water and in some cases, such as with undergravel filters or sponge filters, to create current to aide in filtration. Bettas don't need highly oxygenated water and the plants in a planted tank actually create oxygen so it is unnecessary. Your money will be better spent buying a substrate for your plants (and the plants themselves)

With a planted tank you almost always will want a substrate. A substrate specifically designed for plants is even better (fluorite, ecocomplete, exc.). As Alex suggested their are some plants that don't need it, but your choices of plants are much better if you have it.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:51 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

Oh!! Alright, thanks!! :) Yeah, I guess I'll skip on the airstones. Is substrate expensive? My tank's only 14 g, and only half will have plants. The other one is for my castle and fake decorations. Do I need to buy an enormous bag?
Old 10-05-2010, 09:40 PM   #6 
Alex09

If by substrate you mean gravel then no, its pretty cheap. They usually come in bags of 5-25 lbs. I think I spend maybe $12-15 to fill up my 10 gallon. Look it up on petco's website. Its really inexpensive.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:57 PM   #7 
ashleyy

lol wow, i thought an air stone was a rock you put in the water that bubbled. haha. it's a good thing i didnt get one....
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:28 PM   #8 
Fawnleaf

By Substrate I mean fertilizer, my tank already has gravel. :)
Old 10-06-2010, 10:09 PM   #9 
JorgeBurrito

When people talk about substrate, they mean gravel, sand, or soil. Sounds like you already have gravel, that is good. Aquarium Plant Fertilizers are cheap, Like $5-$10 per bottle and with a small tank last forever.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #10 
Fawnleaf

:) yay! thanks! Oh, I didn't know that! On petco.com they call them "substrates" :)