Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 04:02 AM   #1 
cassymingo

My Betta has weird green dots!!! :S

I think my betta has Fin Rot, and im about to go and get him some medicine for it, i tried changing his water everyday for the past 3 days but he seems to be getting worse, and less active, not eating, even when i move his tree around to touch him he is rather in active, he has strange green dots. i will post a picture, please help!
Attached Images

cassymingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:24 AM   #2 
dipsydoodlenoodle

I can't see the green dots! Can you describe them or tell us where they are?
dipsydoodlenoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 07:55 AM   #3 
cassymingo

There is two tiny green dots on his side. theyre kind of shiny, but not gold or anything like velvet suggests... maybe i'm wrong? & it is velvet? or maybe its just fungal because of his fin rot?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:48 AM   #4 
Capricorn

I think it's more likely that it's tail biting, not fin rot.. that, or that plastic plant in his tank is shredding it. That plant looks fairly sharp. You can try running a pair of pantyhose over it, and if it snags those it's going to snag his fins and tear them. Don't medicate him just yet, if you can find the source of the problem and remove it you probably won't need to.

Not sure on the dots.. I think I'm looking at it in the picture but I'm not sure. Are you sure they're green and not white, maybe?
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #5 
cassymingo

i got him a new plant.. a soft one, it looks prickly in this picture yes, but its very soft plastic.

he isnt eating and has this green on his face aswell. i will upload another picture, he isnt moving alot, i put a filter in his tank today and some aquarium salt aswell.
please help my larry

sorry the picture is so big. :s
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2010, 02:48 PM   #6 
Adastra

Could you please copy/paste this form into your next post with your answers? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

It might give us a better clue as to what is causing his lethargy and fin loss. It doesn't look like fin rot to me--fin rot is very distinctive looking, the infected part of the fin is edged in a black band that's often crusty looking. Do you see that at all?
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #7 
cassymingo

Unhappy

i don't see any black on his fins, but they were more vibrant and full when i first got him about a week ago. He seems a bit more active today, but still has green on his face, i've noticed under his belly is shiny as well, hes still not eating, but he i'snt trying to scratch himself against rocks or anything... so i dont know

Housing
What size is your tank? about 2 litres
What temperature is your tank? Room temperature.
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? just a filer
Is your tank heated? no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and blood worms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 times a day, when hes eating

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? used to be every 2 days, now that he is sick it was every one day. now im treating him with PimaFix, im not changing it.

What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? water purifier

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? i havent

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Pale, Green blotches on his face & kinda shiny in places.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not eating less swimming, doesnt come to greet me when i walk to his tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 3 days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? PimaFix, seems to be moving around a little more since hes started being treated
Does your fish have any history of being ill? i only just got him from the pet shop a week ago :S
How old is your fish (approximately)? not sure

Last edited by cassymingo; 10-04-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Oh this explains a lot. He's coloring up. Bettas usually show their true colors after purchase. As for the inactiveness, try keeping him warm (over 75* F) and feed him some frozen bloodworms.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:50 PM   #9 
Posaune

You'll want to keep the water about 80 F. My betta really perked up when I did that (I didn't know much starting out either). Ate better, swam around more, acting like he owns the apartment.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #10 
cassymingo

i dont have an aquarium heater, and he tried to eat a dried bloodworm today, but spat it out shortly after trying...