Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 AM   #1 
diavids

grr why do ppls buy these tiny bowls

if i'm posting this in the wrong place, sorry. i don't post often but i just had to get this out. Very frustating situation while i at the local fish store. i was at the checkout and the person behind me was buying this adorable beta and what i gathered was the bowl. It was in this tiny box and from the picture had a small light on top i would guess the bowl was half a gallon if that. I turned to her and said nicely that the bowl looked too small, she said it was for her grandson. i have no idea what that had to do with the size of the bowl. What i just don't get she is spending over $20.00 for this cupsize container for the fish, for the same $$ she could have picked up something much larger. I so wish the stores would stop selling these size bowls. i got the impression by what else she was buying she was not a newbie to keeping fish so why would she buy such an unsuitable size bowl. Sigh... i know there is nothing we can do about it but it just pissed me off so much. i was with a friend and the both of us grumbled.

thanks for listening to my rant
dianne
diavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:52 AM   #2 
TigerLily

I also wish that pet stores would stop carrying those little "betta house" bowls. Unfortunately, they seem to make a lot of money off of them.

I have a feeling that pet bettas will go the way of the goldfish eventually. What I mean by that is that years ago, it was perfectly acceptable to sell someone a goldfish and a small fish bowl. Now, most pet stores I go in may refuse to sell a goldfish if they have reason to believe it will end up in a small bowl.
Knowledge about the requirements of the fish eventually broke that popular stereotype....Maybe one day betta keeping will go through a similar change.

We can only hope.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #3 
ashleyy

I know. I hate it. But before researching I didn't know! I bought like a 1 liter tank thing for my betta because it said betta keeper, so I assumed this was a good home. Then, I researched and felt terrible and immediately got a bigger home for him. It's just wrong advertising and unknowingness of the buyers.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #4 
diavids

i hope as well that eventually the beta bowls will disappear. thanks everyone for allowing me to rant
diavids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #5 
windfire

i have hopes of breeding my new male with the female i got with him and possibly importing a male halfmoon and some females. i was going to see if the fish shop up the road from me would be interested in improving the quality of betta housing by doing the following:

they build tanks, i was thinking of having them build say a 10L standard tank for bettas, we could then work on getting people educated by offering a betta "kit" in it it would have a small heater, a small filter, probably sponge, proper betta food and then we could offer a choice of gravel and certain ornaments, as part of the kit. there could be a manual on how best to care for your new betta and possibly a little bit of info on diseases and so forth, their causes, preventions and possible cures. i would love to try my hand at breeding, but i could not in good consience allow my bettas that i purposefully bred to be sold and allowed to live in those horrible containers. i think alot of the problem is ignorence and if we educate the general public i think most will be willing to give a betta a proper home. especially if you show them how good say, a natural planted tank looks or a properly decorated one with nice gravel ect. much like interior decorating or landscaping a tank can be an asset to a homes deco and they fun to watch just my 2c what do you guys think? will it work?
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:02 PM   #6 
Capricorn

If you have a shop nearby that's willing to do that, it sounds like a great idea, Wind. I wish I could do the same with hermit crabs and all critters that are marketed as easy pets. e.e

@Dianne; I totally agree, it makes me so sad to see that.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #7 
purplemuffin

It really is ignorance! Even experienced fish keepers sometimes skip over learning about betta care--I know for a fact from my boyfriend's dad! He kept bettas to start, but never learned proper care, aquarium hobbyists around him considered bettas an 'intro' fish, something you keep once and when you CAN keep larger tanks, you never look back. Who keeps bettas if you can house a pacu or an arowana? So though he researched and could tell you specific fish care of almost all other fish, bettas are still totally unknown, and he will proudly announce that they only need a tiny cup to live!

I am in the process of teaching him otherwise! He is starting to come around, seeing how active little Red Beard the pirate betta is XD he had never seen one make a bubble nest, so he was impressed at Nathan's 'skill' with these fishes!

It's the same with turtles! They used to sell Red Ear Sliders in these tiny little 'turtle ponds'... And now we know a hatchling needs a 30-50 gallon to start with a POND FILTER due to the amount of waste! :O Shock! With time, people will learn!

Although it would help if they would sell 5 gallon tanks a bit cheaper..I still can't get over the fact that I spent the same amount of money on my 55 gallon as this 5 gallon I want!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #8 
windfire

i agree its mostly ignorance on the publics part and i think if everyone tries to educate those around them it will eventually change. once people realise that bettas have definate personalities there will be a change, i told someone the other day it was like having a underwater puppy lol.
windfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #9 
cballas

I think they'd make a buttload more money if they displayed betta's in larger, heated, and well
decorated tanks w/ good lighting.
I waited so long to buy one because they were just..*Depressing* looking in the stores.
I got creeped out looking at them in those tiny cups/bowls.
Then I got my danios, researched more fish types, and learned how wonderful bettas really they are!
I don't like how bowls look...they warp the fish, harder to photograph! lol
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #10 
Capricorn

You would think they would, but the truth is that less people would buy them if they knew how much money had to go into a proper setup. Why drop the money for a large tank, filter, heater, and everything else when it can live in a tiny bowl with marbles?

It's sad, but true.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote