Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #1 
DragonFish

-Sighs- Just my luck...

So, Iceman, my lovely little dragon PK, isn't exactly doing well....
I'm usually pretty confident in my ability to treat and care for sick fish successfully, but Bobby is showing the same symptoms my first dragon, Smaug, did....
Basically meaning this might just be beyond me...Smaug had a bad case ofColumnaris and passed 24 hours after actually showing the white fuzzy stuff. Bobby is showing similar symptoms though.....clamped fins, just sitting around, playing with food and not eating, and odd break in his dragon scaling on his side that seems to be spreading, like hes scraped off the metallicness...

Thing is, I can't be positive thats what this is....so what should I do? Medicate him? Leave him with clean water and salt?(like I have him)

Oh, and for anyone whos curious....hes in a Kritter Keeper, 'bout 2 gallons or so, temp was a steady 78 but I've dropped it down to 75 just in case(he seems more comfortable at 75 oddly enough anyway...). Schedule permitting, I usually do water changes on my uncycled tanks every other day, though his home was just setup on Saturday so today will be his first real water change....

Thoughts? Opinions?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Pictures-

Taken a few moments ago:

Taken the day I got him:

You can see that that those odd little patches weren't there before....
also, I'm concerned about the goldish 'dusting' on him...though I haven't seen him flash, and it could possible just be his coloring....:/ Gah, I dunno what to do...I really don't wanna loose this guy..
Old 10-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #3 
Adastra

Since your fish looks like he has a bit of copper in him anyway, what you want to look for with velvet specifically are granules in between the scales. They tend to pile up there and look more distinctive than on other parts of the body. You may want to darken the room and shine a flashlight over him in order to spot the granules more easily.

If he doesn't have velvet, you might want to go ahead and start treating with broad spectrum antibiotic. Sometimes you have to trust your instincts with these things, once you've seen how fish behave when they have an infection you recognize certain consistencies when they happen in other fish that tip you off.

I am not there and I cannot say with any real degree of certainty whether it's a bacterial infection or not, but in my experience you have to go with your gut on these sometimes, because if you don't your window of opportunity will close and that will be the end of it, unfortunately.. If you have a strong feeling that it is an internal infection, I recommend reading this article before you start treatment: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa084 It will give you a better idea of how antibiotics work and the risks involved.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:23 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Alright, thanks a lot for the response....I do have that horrible gut feeling that hes sick :/ Though I don't really feel its velvet, I'll darken the room further and flashlight him once more, just to make sure...thanks for the tip though about how to look for it more closely, I'll be sure to remember that for the future ;)

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead and start treatment...hopefully kill this thing before it gets to him like it got to Smaug. I'll be sure to pick up some broad spectrum antibiotic at work tonight, and I'll go and read over that link right now :)

Oh, one more question....currently in my arsenal I have Maracyn 1+2, Furan 2, and JFC....can/should I treat with any of those, or should I wait for the broad spectrum antibiotic? I just feel like I should be treating him right away...if this is the same thing Smaug had, then I want to nip it in the bud as quickly as possible :/ I'm so worried about loosing him....
Old 10-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #5 
Adastra

You could use the Maracyn I and II together--that will cover both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, so it will give you as good of a shot as any.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:31 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Alright, I'll go ahead and start treatment with that, but still pick up some broad spectrum tonight anyway....never hurts to have a good variety of medication on hand. :P

Thanks again for your help, hopefully he turns out okay :/
Old 10-04-2010, 02:37 PM   #7 
wallywestisthebest333

Oh no I'm so sorry! <=[ I hope things turn out all right and he gets better! He's such a beauty! <3 my favorite color of blue/bluegreen! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #8 
Adastra

Lol, broad spectrum is a term used to describe antibiotics, it's not a particular brand or medication. Sorry if I said that in a way that was misleading. Maracyn I and II can both be considered "broad spectrum"--it just means that it covers a wide variety of different bacteria, which is necessary since we don't have the veterinary skills to pin down exactly what species is the culprit. Also, keep in mind that when you begin treatment with an antibiotic, you must follow through with that treatment according to the instructions on the label. Aborting a treatment early will not be helpful to the fish, and it increase the risk of creating super strains of bacteria that are resistant to the medications we have available. Please read the article I posted earlier so you will have a better understanding of how to use antibiotics responsibly.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:01 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Ahh, really? O.o I could have sworn I've seen a product called broad spectrum...perhaps I just read that it WAS a broad spectrum antibiotic ;P I tend to mix things up....hurray for dyslexia!
Oh, and yes yes, of course! I never end treatment early no matter what it is I'm treating or with what...especially when it comes to bacterial infections. Those are nasty little things :/

Thanks Westy Dx Yeah, I really hope I can get this all sorted...
Old 10-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #10 
CodeRed

I don't want to get your hopes up and then dash them, but my PK did this too, it looked like his "Dragony-ness" was scraping off and such... turned out he was just marbling :S. But I remembered what had happened to Smaug and freaked out. It was strange. It looks kind of like your boy does now, though. So just keep that in mind. Hope it's nothing too bad!!
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote