Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-03-2010, 06:41 PM   #1 
UmattWayO

whats wrong with my fish =[ =[

Hi,
I don't have any fancy fish tank equipments like filter and all that. I have a simple Marina 0.8gal fish tank. I had my fish for a few months now and recently, it started to either stay at the bottom of the tank under the plastic plant and not move or stay at the top of the tank at the corner. It's not eating and it jolts to the surface once in a while for air then goes back down again. It doesn't swim around anymore like it used to. Its almost like its lying on the bottom of the tank, it's fins don't even move. When i put a mirror right in front of it, it just stays there like it doesn't see then eventually swims away. Please help!

Thanks,

Matt
UmattWayO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #2 
Adastra

Welcome to the forum. :) In order to give you the best advice possible, please give us your answers to these questions: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 it is easiest if you copy/paste the form into your next post and simply fill in the answers. The more thorough your answers the more accurate our advice will be.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 07:22 PM   #3 
UmattWayO

Housing
What size is your tank? - [0.8Gal]
What temperature is your tank? - [don't know]
Does your tank have a filter? - [no]
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - [no]
Is your tank heated? - [no]
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - [nothing]

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - [nutrafin max flakes]
How often do you feed your betta fish? - [1~2 per day]

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? [ once a week ]
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? - [100%]
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? - [betta plus bowl conditioner]

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: N/A
Nitrite: N/A
Nitrate: N/A
pH: N/A
Hardness: N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment - [either stays at surface or the bottom under the plastic plant almost as if it's lying there. If it's lying on the bottom, it jolts to the surface once in a while for air, then swims back down under the plastic plant. It's not eating nor swimming around and it ignores a mirror in front of it.]

How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - [ it did change, kind of lost coloration, but regained color almost instantly after water change. but still retained those symptoms listed above.]

How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - [it used to always swim around and reacts normally when looking into a mirror and eats normally. Not anymore]
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - [I went to university and left it in my room, told my family to feed it so I don't really know when the symptoms began. I'm guessing over a week]

Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - [changed the water]
Does your fish have any history of being ill? [not since I got it at the pet store, not aware of it's past health. it was very lively even when i got it at pet store]

How old is your fish (approximately)? [ no idea at all ]
Old 10-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #4 
shell85

.8 gallons is too small he's going to need space, at least 2.5 gallons and a heater. and a once a week water change for something that size is not enough
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #5 
Romad
TFK Moderator

In something that small you need to be changing the water every day if you want your fish to be healthy. And depending on where you live, a heater will be necessary.

You can buy a 3 gallon kritter keeper for cheap money or look on craigslist for used tanks and setups.
Romad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:52 PM   #6 
UmattWayO

i just noticed that my betta is kinda tilted to the right and seems like its struggling to swim =S
Old 10-03-2010, 09:33 PM   #7 
SilverCaracal

Do you notice anything else different about its appearance? A picture would be helpful. Did you say it stopped eating?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #8 
Adastra

His problem is likely ammonia poisoning. As was mentioned earlier, a tank that size is so small that it must be 100% changed every day in order to maintain proper water quality. Please understand that fish constantly excrete a toxic substance called ammonia through their gills--this is kind of like their form of urine. In nature, this toxic ammonia would be broken down into a less harmful substance, consumed by plants, and diluted by much larger quantities of water. Since none of these components are at work in your small tank, you have to compensate for that with frequent water changes.

You should also consider that bettas originate from a tropical climate where the temperature is consistently around 80 degrees. Since they are cold blooded animals, being subjected to even a few degrees below that can have a significant impact on the speed of their entire metabolism. The average room temperature (72-73 degrees) is really much too cold for a betta to thrive in. Being at these low temperatures causes problems with circulation, digestion, and a weakened immune system.

You should really consider upgrading to a larger tank. The recommended minimum size is two gallons, because this is the volume that most quality heaters are designed for. Keep in mind that the larger the tank, the less maintenance you will have to perform to keep your fish healthy and the more stable everything will be, so if you decide to upgrade; think big--5 gallons is a wonderful, stable, manageable size, and many come in compact designs that take up very little desk space.

If money is a problem for you, you can opt for the cheap "kritter keeper" style tank, or for even less money, you can get a 2 or 4 gallon rubbermaid/sterilite clear plastic storage bin from WalMart or Target for about $3. A heater should help him immensely, but keep in mind that when you purchase a heater, you get what you pay for. Cheap pre-set heaters, heater pads, and other non-adjustable style heaters don't actually work on a thermostat, so the temperature can fluctuate and they often overheat the water or don't get it nearly warm enough depending on the air temperature in your house. Don't waste your money on a non-adjustable heater. Instead, pay just a few dollars more for a 25 watt heater that has an adjustable temperature dial--it is worth the investment.

Once your betta is in consistently clean and warm water for a few days, he should perk up quite a bit. If you can find it, some methylene blue should help with his ammonia poisoning and prevent secondary infections. If you're thinking of making any purchases for your fish, please let us know so we can give you advice about whether or not the product is worth your money. Good luck with your fish.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-04-2010 at 12:18 AM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #9 
UmattWayO

wow, thanks for such a detailed and informative reply. I really appreciate your help!
I'm going to look into the things you mentioned. Hopefully the little guy will hold up!

Thanks again!

Matt