Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #1 
wallywestisthebest333

Unhappy Skin on the water

Ok so I'm not sure if this is exactly an emergency or not because it's only happened the past 3 times I've done water changes but.... well...

Ok background first:

I change Genie's water every other day (changed it just last night) or sooner if I feel it's necessary.

I only use tap water and Jungle's Start Right water conditioner (the amount recommended for healing fins which is 2 tsp per 10 gallons so about 1 tsp for 5 gallons and therefore 1/2 tsp for 2.5 gallons) and 1 tsp of Aq. salt since he's in a 2 gallon container. That's it.

LATELY (the past 3 changes) the day I change the water I notice there's a NASTY skin on the water.

So does anyone know what could be causing this? I have a theory that I might have used too much water conditioner or something but I can't be sure until tomorrow when I see if a skin has formed or not. (as I put in the regular amount this time instead of the amount suggested for healing fins).

If there's a skin with the reduced amount of wc I'm gonna start testing the tap water and if I don't discover anything then I'm just gonna give up and change his water daily. =/

Could this be ich or some kind of thing associated with sickness? There's nothing white on him and I've never seen white stringy pooh. =[ He's also active and eats well.

I'm just really confused and scared for Genie. =[ Any help or knowledge would be much appreciated! <3
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

I get a clear film on a couple of my tanks. I think it has to do with decaying organics (from my plants etc.) and the fact that there is little to no water movement from my filters since they're baffled. Since my water conditioner is so concentrated, I sometimes overdose it so it could be from that.

The film doesn't seem to harm my fish, and they still go to the surface to eat and breathe. I simply just scoop it off with a small cup every two days or so to get rid of it because it looks unsightly. Using a spray bar if you have a filter is a good way to agitate the water surface to stop it forming, and it's not so strong it will hurt your fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #3 
cballas

Yes I get that too on my 3G on the side the filter isn't on...It hasn't seemed to hurt
the two i've had in at different times...They both blew bubble nests, maybe it's saliva? lol
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #4 
bettalover2033

No its not spit, its distilled water. that happened to many of my tanks when my bettas dont go up to the top very often, the very top of the water gets very shiny and is you gently run your finger accross the top of the water, you will get a little "coat" of something, i dont know what its called but i was reading up on it and i read that its very healthy.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:18 PM   #5 
CodeRed

It happens in my tank when the water gets too hard. Doesn't hurt them, is DISGUSTING, but it doesn't hurt them ^_^
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #6 
wallywestisthebest333

So it's simply unsightly? =]
Thanks guys! =] I'm glad it's nothing serious! =D
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nasty, sick?, skin, water