Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #1 
Fawnleaf

My teachers driving me insane!!

... And not for the obvious reason.

Everyday I walk in to her classroom and see her betta... Moby sitting in the water. Still... no bubble nest... cold... it's terrible. The rooms FREEZING, even for me when I'm wearing my sweatshirt- and thats saying something!! No heater, the bowl (less than a 1/4 gallon) is only filled up half way, no top, urgh!! I feel so bad! He's SO beautiful!!

I really want to get him out of there and into a better home. I'd pay for it- heater and all if only I could find a way to give it to my teacher without insulting her! URGH! Someone give me ideas!

She doesn't really care about her fish that much, so I can't sneak by that way the old "heres a new tank!" trick. :( So someone give me an idea on how to give her Moby's new home without making her defensive!!

PLEASE!!
Fawnleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:12 PM   #2 
Mermaid Fish

Well that all depends on the kinds teacher. There's the teachers to go up and talk to when you have a question. The kind to just not to talk about anything and look it up later, and the kind you want to be ignored by. Most of mine are the first one thankfully. Here's and idea try and impress him'here by doing a report ot something related to the subjest on the betta fish. For example for english write a few paragraphs. Hope this sorta helps, i'm not good with talking to peaple lol
Mermaid Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #3 
celine18

i would just stay after class and be lookin at Moby, maybe play with him, see if she says anything. if not, then i would just mention that you keep bettas too, and try and see if you can get a conversation going about their good, large, heated homes you keep them in, and if shes interested, tell her about how you would be willing to help her set up a good home for Moby.

of course, this really depends on if your teachers friendly, and open. if shes all stuck up and cold...then i don't really know what you can do that she won't find offense to, other than offering to care for the fish over a break or long weekend maybe.
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 PM   #4 
JorgeBurrito

Exclamation

Many people just don't know any better. After all those tiny unheated tanks are what are sold as Betta aquariums right below where most pet stores keep their bettas. Just go up to your teacher and tell them you have a Betta at home and have done a lot of research regarding their care. Then explain to her why they need heaters and a larger tanks. The important part here is to explain why so it comes off as you trying to educate her. After giving her all this information you could end with an offer to help get Moby in a better environment.

Honestly I think this will be a good thing for you to do for many reasons (not just for Moby's sake). It is really important life skill to be able to talk to people and to share your knowledge with them (especially those in a superior position to yourself, even if they are somewhat hostile). Getting to the point where you are comfortable with talking to your teachers and bosses (as you get older) is really important and will help you get ahead in life. It is a skill I wish I had practiced and picked up much earlier in life than when I did.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #5 
Fawnleaf

I really like the second suggestion!!! :) I will try that maybe Thursday. I also like the third one, but I just want to make sure if it goes wrong, there won't be permanent consequences. Like, if it were later in the year, than I would try that. But If she decides she doesn't like what I'm telling her, then that would ruin the whole year. So I will try the idea of casually whipping up a conversation about Bettas.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #6 
celine18

i hope it goes well! good luck!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #7 
Fawnleaf

:) thanks!! Poor Moby!
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM   #8 
Jayy

2 sounds like what I would do. Most of my teachers like to get to know better and they findout I love cars and fish aswell as knowing ALOT about their care. Me being funny and all also helps to get closer to teaching almost like a older friend. Then I would say that her/his bettas is very pretty and that I keep them. Then I start on how to care for them. Knowing me teachers they would listen to me and my mom backing me up and to the right thing. That being getting bigger tank, filter, better food, and heater. I would also tell her/him the best brands out there.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:44 PM   #9 
Zoelie

Also, if your teacher isn't the open type and would be defensive about it, you could always just print out a care sheet and tip/facts sheet and leave it on her desk when she is not looking :D
Zoelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:16 PM   #10 
Moldau

I don't know exactly what the situation is, but if she, like many people, seems to think of the betta more for his "decorative" value, then maybe you could also show her pictures of nicely decorated betta aquariums to show how much better those look than small bowls or vases. Maybe say how much more it would improve the looks in the classroom than what he's currently in does. Depending on your teacher, that might help as well.
Moldau is offline   Reply With Quote