Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2010, 12:31 PM   #11 
shakiigrrl

preset to 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMan View Post
This one looks pretty good. Automaticly set to 78.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3716157

Becareful with preset...i bought the one at Walmart (10 watt) and it never got over 74 and then I brought that back and researched. Ended up bying the Hydro Mini 7.5w preset to 78 which would be able to go under the gravel(haven't tried that yet) and well if I leave it in the tank plugged in all the time it would end up cooking my little George I think. After about 6 hours it brought the water up to 86 degrees. Now weird thing is that george seems to like it HOT...he is more active at that temp. But I unplug it when I go to work because I am afraid it will go a lot higher one of these days.
I am probably gonna go pick up a timer and put and adjust it for 4 hours on 4 hours off continuously...will see how that works out.
shakiigrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #12 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
Only if your temps are higher than 70*F. I'd go with a preset heater, they're $15 at Walmart and way worth it!
$15.00 for THAT?????

For $15.49 you can get a nice 25 watt adjustable, submersible heater:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JEBO-Aquariu...#ht_3042wt_989

I own two of these heaters purchased from that seller and could not be happier. The heaters work well and the seller ships fast!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:33 PM   #13 
wystearya

I believe my preset is 25 watts, it can be used for 2-10 gallons. So, it's plenty powerful. Thus far, it has worked well.

I'm still not home yet, but I'll get the brand name later. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:47 PM   #14 
StacyK

I live in NM so I get your wondering of if a heater is really needed or not. I have a Hydor Mini heater under the gravel in both of my 2.5 gal tanks. I haven't had any issues with the water temperature fluctuation and really like the fact that I can hide the heater under the gravel (fits nicely given the tanks have under water air filters)
StacyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:06 PM   #15 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakiigrrl View Post
Becareful with preset...i bought the one at Walmart (10 watt) and it never got over 74 and then I brought that back and researched. Ended up bying the Hydro Mini 7.5w preset to 78 which would be able to go under the gravel(haven't tried that yet) and well if I leave it in the tank plugged in all the time it would end up cooking my little George I think. After about 6 hours it brought the water up to 86 degrees. Now weird thing is that george seems to like it HOT...he is more active at that temp. But I unplug it when I go to work because I am afraid it will go a lot higher one of these days.
I am probably gonna go pick up a timer and put and adjust it for 4 hours on 4 hours off continuously...will see how that works out.
The Hydor Mini 7.5w isn't preset to any temperature, it runs constantly unless you un-plug it.
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
$15.00 for THAT?????

For $15.49 you can get a nice 25 watt adjustable, submersible heater:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-JEBO-Aquariu...#ht_3042wt_989

I own two of these heaters purchased from that seller and could not be happier. The heaters work well and the seller ships fast!
The Tetra preset keeps it at 80*. I use them in my spawning and growout tubs, along with Stealth Pro heaters. They work great :)

Also I'm only 13, no job, so anything that works and is cheap is good my book. I've never had a problem with it. Though in the spawning tubs the fry take a little longer to hatch but utimately hatch larger in size.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:17 AM   #17 
wystearya

Here is what my pre-set heater is:

Brand = Tetra
Model = HT10

Watts = 50 ~ This one is for tanks anywhere from 2-10 gallons, thus the wattage.

Even though I have only had the heater about a week, it's already been tested with cooler temperatures. It's been cold lately (in the 30's-40's some nights - I leave the house temperature set at around 68) and the tank temperature has been kept at a steady 78 degrees. I've checked it with both one of those stick on LED tank thermometers, and my own digital meat thermometer.

All I can say is that from my personal experience, this particular pre-set works just fine for my 2.5 gallon tank.

Last edited by wystearya; 10-07-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: clarification
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #18 
SilverCaracal

I'm thinking about getting this: http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=3792732

Would it be alright for a 2.5 gallon?
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:41 PM   #19 
celine18

i have a Marina Submersible Mini in my 1.5 bowl. its supposedly preset at 78, but it hovers at 76 mainly, but in the mornings (our nights have started gettin down in the lower-mid 40s lately) i've seen it as low as 73.

i deffinetly recomend spending the money on a good quality heater. i can't say if adjustibles work better (i have one in my tank that i'm trying to cycle, but i just got it today so i don't know how well it holds up yet) but you should deffinetly choose wisely, and be sure you keep your reciept and the packaging so if you have problems you can return it!!!
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 PM   #20 
SilverCaracal

The only pet store nearby is Petsmart and they don't have a lot of heaters to choose from :(
Could you'll make a list of the heaters that work well? I'm so confused...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote