Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #1 
percygrover

Exclamation What do I do I don't have a heater and I think my betta is sick

My Betta fish is in really cold water around 60 degrees and I think it is starting to get sick, what do I do if I don't have a heater and I want my fish to get better.
percygrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:49 PM   #2 
nomoretickets

Quote:
Originally Posted by percygrover View Post
My Betta fish is in really cold water around 60 degrees and I think it is starting to get sick, what do I do if I don't have a heater and I want my fish to get better.
If you really want your fish to get better you need to keep it's water warm. I'm new to Betta fish, but I do know from reading that the absolute minimum temperature for BettAs to be even marginaly healthy is around 70. Simply turning a heat lamp on durring the day won't be enough because they need consistent temperatures.
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #3 
Adastra

You really need to get a heater. Your fish cannot live in such low temperatures permanently. The temperature is so low that heater pads, pre-set heaters, and other non-adjustable heaters won't do you any good, so make sure you get a 25 watt heater with an adjustable temperature dial like this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...m?pcatid=11368

Until you get a heater, you can put the fish in the warmest, most stable part of your house away from drafty windows, doors, direct sunlight, vents, fans, electronics, etc. If you have a space heater, you can put the fish in a small room, like the bathroom, and set the space heater to heat the room to 80 degrees. If the space heater does not have a thermostat, you should choose a larger room. Never put the fish tank close to sources of heat like lamps, vents, or space heaters because it will cause the temperature to change too dramatically.

If there is no way you can afford to get a heater or other necessary items for your fish soon, return him to the pet store or find someone else who has the means to take care of him properly.

Last edited by Adastra; 10-06-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:33 PM   #4 
1fish2fish

I agree with Adastra. That is WAY too cold for a betta. They need to be in AT LEAST 75* water with 78-80* being best.

What is happening is the cold water is slowing down the metabolism of the fish (they're "cold blooded" afterall). This in turn will make him weak and lower his immune system, making him susceptible to disease.
1fish2fish is offline   Reply With Quote