Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #1 
dragonfair

entertaining your bettas?

I'm not exactly sure where to put this topic. I was wondering something and maybe y'all can offer insight.

It's obvious to me that my betta boys are intelligent in some capacity - at least, they seem to be. They also seem to have wonderful personalities. I'm gone for long hours and I want to keep them from getting bored. I have 2 in a divided 10 gal and 1 in a 10 gal by himself.

Does anyone have any ideas for entertaining your bettas and keeping them busy? I don't know if I'm projecting human emotions or personalities onto them, but I am very attached and want them to stay happy and active. Thanks!
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #2 
Cassandra90

Ping Pong balls, try different colors. I have found my male betta likes to push it around in his tank.
Cassandra90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #3 
binumee

Don't try anything new becoz - ur tank have already 2 bettas so no problem they will play and be happy.
binumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:14 PM   #4 
wystearya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra90 View Post
Ping Pong balls, try different colors. I have found my male betta likes to push it around in his tank.

What a neat idea! Once my boy is completely comfortable in his new home I'll have to try that.

I've also read that a mirror up to the tank gives them something to do. But don't sit it there for a long time, like 5 minutes max. ;)
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:21 PM   #5 
dragonfair

Hee hee. Ping pong balls - that's a great idea!
Old 10-05-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Lol, bettas are smart little buggers, and they do seem to like having something to keep them busy and enjoy a little interaction with their owners(I've found ;P). Aren't they such fun little guys? xD

None of mine ever took the the ping pong ball...xD I tried, they either freaked out or ignored it ;P Haha, perhaps I should try different colors...

You can also get some 'backup' decorations and plants...switch them out and around every week or so when you preform water changes, gives them something new to explore. ;) You can also place different little things around their tank for them to flare and stare at xD Its quite amusing.
Oh! And theres always the little floating betta mirror and betta log....those are pretty neat ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:01 PM   #7 
dragonfair

Hmm... very good ideas. I'm getting inspired!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 
Posaune

I'll have to try that pingpong idea, though my betta's ignore the fake lilly pad floating on top. I have to agree completely that betta's are smarter than we think and they can have personality (per se)
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #9 
Capricorn

Nettle used to flare at his pingpong ball, but now he only follows it if I push it around his tank... such a bum. xD
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 08:29 PM   #10 
ashleyy

I feed my betta with a tooth pick and for a few minutes I'll dangle the tooth pick in the water and move it around for him to chase. Exercise I suppose. I read a study (I'll try to find it) where bettas who exercised lived on average 2 years longer than bettas that didnt have a form of exercise. I don't know. Can't hurt em.
ashleyy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bettas, entertaing