Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #11 
Adastra

Sorry, we went a little off-topic into a generalized rant. Since school just started awhile ago, we've recently gotten a wave of people who have really ticked us off lately. I'm nothing but ecstatic to know that you're going to upgrade soon and that you're excited to learn more about how to care for your betta! Hopefully this won't deter you from updating us with your progress and asking any more questions that cross your mind.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #12 
Lion Mom

"......at least get your betta the 2-gallon drum-bowl thing"

Not ONLY will a 25 watt adjustable, submersible heater work in a 2 gallon drum bowl (GLASS & NOT plastic!), but a small internal filter will fit in there as well!!! :)
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #13 
kfish

Update!

I just wanted to share what I ended up doing!

I ordered the 5 gallon Hawkeye tank from Wal-Mart for 27 dollars and the 25 watt Hydor Theo heater ($16.79 on Amazon.com with free 2-day shipping; got here in one day!). I heard great things about both of these, and so far I'm loving what's happening.

The fish tank came in today, so I just rinsed all the accessories I got for it and got it set up. I'm monitoring the temperature with the heater, and the heater thermostat seems to be spot on maintaining 79 degrees. I slowed down the filter (picture was taken before that, so you can see the bubbles flying around from the too-strong flow) by rubber banding filter sponge into the outtake. I'm going to let the tank run for about 24 hours before floating him. Going to do the whole deal with water exchange, even though he's in the exact same water at the moment just to be extra safe (I do that every time I clean his tank).

The plant in his current tiny tank is expandable and can be twice the size it is in the picture, so that'll be in there as well (I am NOT putting any of the gravel in the tank besides what's going to hold the plants down- I hate it, it's sharp and he likes to sleep perched on the bottom, and it's scratching up the current tank and I don't want that happening to this one) and I'll get a real plant next week when I get back from home. I tested all the stuff in there to make sure it's not too pointy. :)

He seems really excited to get in there and I can't wait to watch him swim around in it. I feel kind of mean putting him right up next to the tank (he tries to swim into it :( ), but there's nowhere else to put him without putting him in the A/C draft so he'll just have to yearn to be in there for a day. :P

I have everything hooked up to a GFCI outlet, as this room has one since there's a sink. I have a gravel vacuum. Believe it or not, we have a lot of fish/fish tanks at home (55 gallon, 25 gallon, 10 gallon, 10 gallon cichlid, 10 gallon salt water, all cycled). They're all my mom's and my sister's, but I didn't come away with absolutely no knowledge. Never had bettas, though.

I think I answered all the potential questions!
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #14 
celine18

thats a really nice tank! you need to post pics after you put him in! i wanna see, i bet he'll look really pretty under that lighting! :)
celine18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #15 
kfish

I just put him in there. I don't think I've ever seen a happier fishy! He's having a lot of fun wiggling up and down the corner walls. And while typing this, he just posed perfectly for a picture! My camera bit the dust yesterday (D:) so I'm stuck using my cell phone. Here's his pose!:

Can't wait to get real plants!

Edit:

I got my camera to have a last hurrah! He won't stay still long enough for pictures since he's so excited to be able to wiggle, so I took a video. :)

http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b3...t=S7302170.mp4

And here are a few wiggly pictures which show his iridescence a little better:

Okay I'm done. :)

Last edited by kfish; 10-10-2010 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Video and more pictures!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #16 
Vanilla exe

That is a nice tank, I love the pebbles! Can't wait to see what it looks like with real plants. If you don't want to use that gravel, consider getting small clay pots (Most dollar stores, 3 for $1), put some soil in the pots, plant your plants, then cover with gravel or sand. That will keep your plants happy and keep the soil from getting everywhere without having to use gravel in the tank. Or you could always just switch to sand =P
Vanilla exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:08 PM   #17 
kfish

That's a great idea! Thank you!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:23 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Nice tank. I have that same bridge. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:47 PM   #19 
Adastra

Lovely tank and beautiful betta--best of luck to you with your new setup. :) Having all those extra fish tanks around will make cycling this little one a breeze since you have so many sources for seeding the filter media.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #20 
Waterbottle2

wow you have a beautiful fish
Waterbottle2 is offline   Reply With Quote