Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #1 
eclover09

Proper Heater Setup?

So I FINALLY got a job, and of course my first check next week I'm going to buy heaters for my fish lol (my friend thinks I'm weird haha). I'm going to get this one: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368 , I've read around and seen it's been recommended a lot. I have three two gallon filtration tanks (btw, I'm a dumby and have thought for the past month they've been a gallon, only to realize my brain is slow and that I distinctively remember them being two gallons -.-) and a one gallon fishbowl for tiny Christmas.

What I wanted to know is how to I go about "setting" it up? Do I just put the heater on for like 78 degrees and wait for the water to cycle and warm up and put the fish right in, or can that sudden temperature change kill them? Since I've been doing it at room temperature I've just let the tank cycle with the fish next to it in his tuber ware so the temperatures were the same and then put them in. Also I was curious whether it would be a different setup for the filtration tanks then it would be the fishbowl I have, since I'm waiting for Christmas to get a little bigger before upgrading him since he is a absolute midget.

Just wanted to know this in advance, so when I get the heaters I know what to do and can immediately set them up. Luckily I live in Arizona, so it doesn't get cold (below seventy) till like the end of November, but I know they need heaters regardless.
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:22 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Set the temp, then put it FULLY SUBMERGED in the water and then turn it on. Adjust the temp lower or higher as needed. With my heaters they don't have numbers so I turn it a little to the positive side and then adjust as needed.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM   #3 
JorgeBurrito

You will want to acclimate your fish when changing him from colder to warmer water if the transition in more than a degree or two. You can do this by taking your betta in a bag or tupperware of his current water and placing it in the warmer tank. Let the container float for 30 minutes or so and then you can release him.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 07:42 PM   #4 
eclover09

Oh cool, ok thanks :D Is there a certain temperature that should be for different size tanks, since I have two gallons (filters) and a one gallon (just a bowl), or can they both be like 78 degrees?
eclover09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:16 PM   #5 
crowntail lover

You will need to have the temp set inbetween 78-82 degrees no matter the tank size.
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote