Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2010, 04:27 PM   #1 
cballas

Best prices/brands for frozen foods?

I have Hikari pellets, which is what the store was feeding them, and all but Brav likes them...
Where do you buy your frozen foods? ...I'm asking for fish supplies for my bday. Fam thinks I'm nuts. They just don't understand!! lol

OT - noticed my tetra tank only has a 15W F light strip...don't my plants need more than that? I think this kit was meant for pond
fish, not tropical...heater feels weak too.

Last edited by cballas; 10-06-2010 at 04:29 PM.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #2 
JorgeBurrito

I just get my frozen food from a local pet store. Pretty much any store with a fish section will have a freezer full of frozen food. I get the Hikari brand as I have read they do an extra sanitation step other companies don't, but that may not be true.

How much light your tank needs depends on the size of your tank and what plants you have. For low light plants in a 5-10 gallon aquarium the 15W fluorescent bulb is probably OK. I don't know if that is your setup or not though. For the heater you need to get the temperature of the water. Shoot for the 76-80 range. IF it can't keep the water at this temperature it is underpowered and you should probably get a new one.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:51 PM   #3 
cballas

That's cool about the extra sanitation step...

Yea it's a 16G...This kit is all wrong I see...15W Light, only a rated 10G filter (I bought a 20G one though coming soon)... Boo Tetra. I throw towels over it at night. The temp on my Coralife digi says 76-77. I use low light plants but still.
cballas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:13 PM   #4 
JorgeBurrito

You will be OK on the light, but growth will be slow. Be very careful you only have/get what are classified as low light plants. Anything else will not survive. Temperature is fine, although keep an eye on it as we get into winter.
JorgeBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 AM   #5 
karlhague

Hey I buy all my frozen fish food off Ebay..

Just had my latest Frozen bloodworms arrive, Which coincidently arrived STILL frozen..

But you would have to contact them about international shipping

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/fishdirect-uk
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #6 
sunnymui

My mother put her foot down, and won't let me keep frozen foods in the freezer. So, I bought Tetra Delica Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms, which come in little sachets. One of my fishes loved them, and the other isn't so keen (but seems to really like sayuri betta pellets).
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 AM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymui View Post
My mother put her foot down, and won't let me keep frozen foods in the freezer. So, I bought Tetra Delica Brine Shrimp and Blood Worms, which come in little sachets. One of my fishes loved them, and the other isn't so keen (but seems to really like sayuri betta pellets).

I use Sayuri betta pellets aswell as Attisons Betta Pellets.

The Sayuri Pellets are by far the smallest pellets ive seen sold.

Could you not buy one of those mini refrigerators (The little ones designed for keeping cans of pop/beer cold) They dont take up much space, And you could keep the Bloodworms cold that way..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:45 PM   #8 
sunnymui

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlhague View Post
I use Sayuri betta pellets aswell as Attisons Betta Pellets.

The Sayuri Pellets are by far the smallest pellets ive seen sold.

Could you not buy one of those mini refrigerators (The little ones designed for keeping cans of pop/beer cold) They dont take up much space, And you could keep the Bloodworms cold that way..
Yes, the sayuri pellets were recommended by you

I'm actually thinking of getting one of those mini refridgerators...
sunnymui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 
shell85

I just buy them from petsmart because if i buy them online i will be paying triple because of the shipping. I am using Hikari because they have a 3 step sterilization process.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm kind of afraid to try the frozen food because it might be gross looking and stink. lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote