Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-06-2010, 08:01 PM   #1 
Jenidhe

My tank

So, now that I'm done with the flu, I've been able to go out and find some things for Goldfish and Icee's tank. I bought a 10 gallon kit from Walmart(The new one near me is not going to carry any live animals). I found some nice live plants and some plastic plants, a divider, a heater, two bridges, gravel, water treatment, pellets, and a gravel vacuum at some other stores.

We are thinking of some tank mates. I was able to find ghost shrimp at all 3 stores I visited. Tetras are on sale at PetSmart. There were a few cories I liked. We decided that the whole family needs to be together to pick out the tank mates.

I need to figure out how to slow down the filter. Any comments, tips, hints, suggestions on the tank and the filter?

Last edited by Jenidhe; 10-06-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Forgot filter question
Jenidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #2 
Alex09

Tetras and cories will work for an undiveded 10 gallon. I dont hink it would work out in a divided tank because the tetras/cories wont have enough room to swim around and get away from the betta is he gets mad at them. Shrimp/ snails will work just fine so long as your betta doesnt eat them :)
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:37 PM   #3 
CjRager89

youre probably going to hear that alot with the tank mates. I wouldnt go tetras, they get bit crazy sometimes if theyre not kept in numbers.

but as far as the filter goes...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
I used this for mine, works fantastic. AND its free!!!

Another cheap little thing im fond of that makes the tank look better (my opinon) get a background. Just one of the roll type at petsmart, walmart etc. works fine. it looks good, but it helps to hide the wires and stuff you can see through the tank

Last edited by CjRager89; 10-06-2010 at 10:40 PM.
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:57 PM   #4 
crowntail lover

I never rrecommend shrimp as tank mates for Male Bettas as I have had some people tell me that the shrimp actually started eating away the Betta's fins.. But if you are looking for a tank mate.. I would go with some type of algea eater. They go great with Bettas
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #5 
CjRager89

it depends on your bettas temperment. some of them do great with shrimp and snails, others will just nom nom nom them!!
CjRager89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:06 AM   #6 
meeka

I can't imagine the shrimp eating the bettas tail!!!!!!!
I have red cherry shrimp and my betta had eaten a couple. He does it out of naughtiness I think. He stalks them and traps them in a corner. I do try to intervene if I notice it. But overall I think they make good tank mates if the shrimp are a reasonable size.
meeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:15 AM   #7 
nomoretickets

non related question, i have the same tank divider, and it is too wide to fit as straight as yours. did you trim yours?
nomoretickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #8 
dragonfair

I made that baffle for both of my tanks and it works perfectly. It took maybe a minute to make each one. As far as tank mates, every betta is different - a lot have no problem with shrimps, frogs, corys if they're big enough to hold their own, but none of my boys can stand tank mates. I tried to get them to play nice, but they destroy everything. Leaves me looking for other ways to entertain them...
dragonfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #9 
Jenidhe

Thanks, all! My husband's grown up around some fish and wasn't sure what I was talking about when I said slow down the flow into the tank.

nomoretickets, it was a pain in the tuckas to get it to straighten out, but it fits fine in my tank. The only problem I have is it trying to shift.
Jenidhe is offline   Reply With Quote