Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #1 
TaylorW

White Puffball on gill?? (video included)

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Tetra BettaMin flakes, Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets, freeze dried blood worms.
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day Mon-Thur, once on Friday, none on Saturday, once on Sunday.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Every 2 to 3 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: I've never tested my water??
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? White puffy substance on gill.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No behavior change yet
When did you start noticing the symptoms? This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not treating yet
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Had Ick two weeks ago
How old is your fish (approximately)?Bought him 3-4 weeks ago?

Normally I wouldn't post about such a minor thing, but since he had Ick recently, I'm a bit concerned. I took this video of him swimming around, I was wiggling my finger above his head to keep him in front of the camera Any thoughts on what this white thing is??

View My Video
TaylorW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Aggressive little bugger...lol....he looks great and full of energy.....you are providing awesome care btw.....

I couldn't see the white fuzzy stuff on his gills, however, I would go ahead and start a salt treatment-Aquarium salt 1tsp/gal along with 100% water changes daily for 7-10 days.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 06:11 PM   #3 
TaylorW

Thanks Oldfishlady! I'll try that and see if it helps. I know the white spot is hard to see in the video, but it was even harder to see in the pictures I took :/ It's only on one gill though, do you think it could be an injury?
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

If it is just a white spot and it doesn't seem to have any texture to it or fuzzy looking...then it may just be a missing scale and if so- I wouldn't do anything but what you are already doing...providing good care in general.....he seems to be a healthy acting fella and neat video too...he seems to have bonded with you already......lucky find......
Old 10-07-2010, 07:36 PM   #5 
TaylorW

Well, I was concerned because he recently had Ick, and I think you also gave me advice on that, so thank you, he's been feeling much better! :)

The white spot does seem to stick off of his body a little bit instead of being flat and is close to his gill opening. I just wish my camera could get a better picture! He acts fine, but he acted fine with Ick until he was covered with speckles....

Victor bonded to me really quickly, I was surprised! After a week he started following me around and he jumps when I put my hand over the tank :) He follows my finger around and stays by the side of the tank that's closest to where I'm sitting. I really love the little guy, and I would be devastated if he started acting sick again! I know I'm probably being paranoid about the spot, but I worry about the little guy I freaked out when he got Ick :/
Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM   #6 
TaylorW

I finally got a good picture!!!!

Old 10-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #7 
TaylorW

Sorry that the pictures are so huge guys :( :(
Old 10-08-2010, 07:35 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I can't see anything on your pic...sorry......I would just keep an eye on it for now and watch for changes, doing a 3-4 days salt treatment wouldn't hurt, if anything, to give you peace of mind......
Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 AM   #9 
TaylorW

Ok, thanks OldFishLady! Maybe I am just paranoid... Hmmm
Old 10-09-2010, 12:10 AM   #10 
FuulieQ

Actually, I think I see what you're talking about. It's the white spot, right? Where his operculum joins to his head?
FuulieQ is offline   Reply With Quote