Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #1 
TharBePirates

Gyarados' New Tank!

So Roommate gave me an early Christmas gift, a 5.5 gallon tank for Little G.

Gyarados' old digs...

What I came home to....

It's in front of the 2.5. Look at the difference!

So I cleaned the tank and moved his decor and gravel over (left the sand, someone's buying the 2.5 with the sand at the bottom for $5)

Everything looks so small in there.

Annnd tonight I went to Petco and splurged. New heater, thermometer, gravel, rocks and plants (plants are on sale right now, buy 2 get 1 free)

Tomorrow after class I want to try to look for an ornament to break up some of the green in there. I love this one and this one from Petsmart, but the nearest one is quite an adventure away so I'm just going to go to a few places and hope they have something similar. I'll also hopefully be getting a betta log as well as smaller plants (Riccia and Java moss definitely, I'd like some microswords but I'm pretty sure I'd just get something to tie the riccia to to get a similar effect).

And Gyarados himself is in a 2 gal hospital tank right now. With all of the ammonia fluxes going on in his old tank, I figured it was best if he spent some time recovering (he lost some of his color and had bout of lethargy, poor guy). So he gets a 100% water change every day, and while he was getting a salt bath every day I've stopped that and just added two drops of Hikari Betta Revive to his water upon changing. it's really helping him.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #2 
Lion Mom

CONGRATS - looks lovely.

What a NICE roomy!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:25 AM   #3 
TigerLily

Wow, that's great! I love the way you decorated it.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #4 
Jayy

I LOVE your tank!!! I think it looks great withOUT the oraments.
Jayy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 
crownie

I love your tank! It looks great! I wish I had a roomate that bought my tanks... that was very nice of them :) And I've been splurging on the buy 2 get 1 free plants as well ^-^
crownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:27 PM   #6 
Alex09

really nice!
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:32 PM   #7 
dew

I had no idea you could put plants in an uncycled tank! How did you do it?
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 AM   #8 
TharBePirates

Quote:
I had no idea you could put plants in an uncycled tank! How did you do it?
I've never heard anything about not putting plants in an uncycled tank. I thought I read somewhere it helps speed things up.

The tank is uncycled, however it does contain a lot of decor that came with bacteria culture. There are 3 pieces of driftwood that all came from tanks, plus my previous tank's filter and gravel. Also for the first five days there was a cup of bacteria heavy sand kept next to the filter and I've added Microb-Lift live bacteria as well to help expedite things.

It's done! Beyond maybe a black background, I just finished. Excuse the bit of cloudiness, I kicked up some dust planting and rearranging everything and it's still settling.

Our List Of Goodies-
4 Ghost Shrimp
4 Large river rocks
3 Amazon Swords
3 Lace Java Ferns
2 Anubias
2 Java ferns
2 Pieces of driftwood wrapped with Riccia Flautains
1 Anubias Nana
1 Piece of driftwood wrapped in Java Moss
Lots of loose and floating Riccia
And I think the Nutmeg gravel mix from Pecto, mixed with my old Swift Creek gravel.

Also, one happy betta.

I know it's not cycled, but I figure I have enough bacteria cultures inside to get it cycled fairly quickly, as well as enough plants to help with ammonia and nitrates. So far the water reads a nice 0 on ammonia and 7 on pH, and I seeded it this Tuesday with some brine shrimp next to the filter.

That's one of the four ghost shrimp (on the leaf, kind of a ghosty silhouette, no pun intended). Again, I know they fair better in a cycled tank, however, at 50 cents I'm willing to replace them, and I'm more so interested in how Gyarados acts around them and whether or not these will become snacks (these ones are pretty hardy too, they've been living a fairly long while in a petco tank with some bamboo shrimp). I introduced them to the water via the drip method, then turned off the aquarium light and let them settle and find a hiding spot for a few hours before letting G-Man in. So far I see one occasionally, and Gyarados doesn't seem to care that they're around. I originally thought he had eaten the two I had in the 2.5, but I found out that one jumped when I was pouring them back into the tank (he was found on the carpet a few days later) and I think the other just died of shock from the ammonia spike that night.

Lots of hiding spots! I picked up the vertical blur in the back today. It's a piece of pre-soaked, bacteria cultered driftwood. What I like about it is what you can't see, it's standing on a fork where branches used to meet and has a hollow chunk on the inside, so it is a natural cave (That Gyarados already loves). Also it's wrapped in java moss. The rocks were also stacked for a small nook space, since I knew I was going to put in shrimp I wanted to make sure there were lots of spots for everyone to chill.

On the other side is a retaining wall made from an arced piece of driftwood wrapped in Riccia. There's a nice nook between the larger river rock and the wall, as well as some spots between the rock and the big Amazon Sword.

I really didn't do anything to the large piece of Riccia covered driftwood I already had other than prop it up against the retaining wall to give the hollow underside a little more space. The shrimps tend to pow-wow underneath. Gyarados likes to still hide under the leaves of the nana.

The reason I added Gyarados so soon was because while the tank seemed to stabilize quickly, he also didn't have a heater in his hospital tank because his old one broke. For the past couple of days he's been living in ice water, and this morning it really showed with how slow he was. It worried me. Meanwhile his while it was cycling was tank set at 82.

I turned down the temp to 79 this morning, since I decided I'd finish aquascaping and then get him in there. When I floated him in the tank to get him acclimated, he got very excited, then sulky when he charged and his face hit the plastic of the bag he was in. He's been going non-stop since I let him out, and seemed to love all of his space and plants.

So yeah, YAY! It's done. Like everyone said, Roomy is awesome, and will be getting a very nice Christmas gift herself.

Last edited by TharBePirates; 10-09-2010 at 01:20 AM.
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:03 AM   #9 
Josiee

The new tank looks fantastic and I bet he loves all the space! Mine is in a 5G too, I think it's the perfect size :)
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:41 AM   #10 
LisaC144

No worries. You will not have a cycle at all. You read correctly. Live plants assimilate ammonia and then turn it into harmless ammonium. When live plants are used in a tank, no cycle will be seen as long as stocking is slow and steady. One betta and a few shrimp will be perfectly fine in your setup and you will not see an ammonia or nitrite spike. Another beautiful thing about a planted aquarium.

You did a beautiful job with his tank. He looks quite content and should live a very happy life now that he will not be subjected ammonia spikes. Job well done
Posted via Mobile Device
LisaC144 is offline   Reply With Quote