Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 06:34 PM   #11 
Colibri

It's 6:30 and the males still don't eat. I'm really worried now. Is this normal for a fish in their condition? Is there anyone who could PLEASE tell me what's going on with them?
Colibri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #12 
BettaLover101

You shouldn't be feeding your fish the first day that you get them. You have to leave them alone in a quiet place and let them adjust to their new environment, they normally aren't hunger for the first day or two.
BettaLover101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #13 
Colibri

Yes, I know. But, I just don't want them to get weaker. Both are just lying on the top of their "hospital tanks" breathing. They were in really cold water at the store and I really want them to get better.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #14 
DragonFish

Its alright, don't panic....its only been a couple of days. Give them time...they're not going to spring back to life immediately if they were in bad condition when you first brought them home....

First off, take all medication out of the water.....if you're not 100% positive that they have a disease that is so severe it requires medication, then don't medicate.
If you haven't already, get some Aquarium Salt and add some to their hospital tank....1tsp per gallon, fully dissolved before adding.
Keep the water extra clean....100% water changes every day, be sure to match the temp of the new and old water to help reduce stress and replace the salt each time.

Warm, clean water and salt really does wonders....a lot of the time that's all you need.....and patients. Keep offering food, but remove it if they don't show any interest after a while.
Also get some frozen bloodworms(if you don't have some already)thaw a few, and offer it to them....bloodworms will be more appealing to them, and they have all sorts of good things that will help promote healing.

Best of luck :)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:30 PM   #15 
Colibri

Thank you so much for your advice! You really called me down. I'll let them rest then and adjust. I did put some methylene blue on one of them because he has Ick and some kind of strange looking white stuff on his body. I guess it must be some fungus.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 AM   #16 
DragonFish

Are you quite positive that its ich? Ich will look like someone took your fish out and sprinkled salt ALL over him....and what kind of other stuff? Is it fuzzy patches? Could you post a picture?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 AM   #17 
Colibri

Yes, it was Ich. One of my other bettas had it ones, so I do know what it looks like. I just woke up this morning to check on the little ones and found out that the one with Ich had died. :( I feel bad for him, I guess there wasn't much that I could have done. The day I brought him home (Thursday) he was suspended in the water with his tummy up, like he couldn't stay "normal". For the next days he did come to the surface and stayed there, but, I guess whatever problem he had was just too much for him. At least I gave him a warm, clean home for his last days. :( The one that's mine is actually looking better. I think he ate two mosquito larva a gave him, they were swimming around in his water when I first checked him, then when I came back they were nowhere to be found. He won't eat the pellets I give him, although my other fish love them. Will he get used to them with time?
Old 10-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #18 
DragonFish

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that :( Sometimes they're jsut too far gone when we get them....At least you were able to give him a nice, warm, clean environment and he didn't die cold in a tiny, dirty cup.

Its good that the other one is doing better though! Just keep his water clean, salted, and keep offering him live/frozen food for now.
Once he gets better, switch to pellets. He probably won't take to them for a while, but if your persistent he'll eventually eat them. Just don't break down and feed him anything else while your getting him used to pellets...remember, bettas can go a good 2 weeks without eating ;) I find that soaking pellets in a bit of tank water before hand is really helpful....it makes it easier for them to eat, and it also helps prevent bloating issues.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:47 AM   #19 
Colibri

Yeah... I guess I'm just being a paranoid or something with the food issue, haha! I just really wanted them to get better. :( I noticed that Delta has something weird going on with his caudal tail. It's like, I don't know, maybe stiff? I see he's not moving it like other bettas do. Is it maybe because of his young age? I've never had a young betta before (he must be around 3 or 4 months), so, I don't know if this is normal because his caudal is still developing. :(! It's HORRIBLE to be with this paranoia!
Old 10-10-2010, 12:35 PM   #20 
DragonFish

Haha, its alright....I can understand being paranoid ;)
But its okay, don't worry xD He will eat eventually....just gotta wait it out. I know its hard, but its true.

Hmm....his tail might be clamped due to the cold, dirty water he was in beforehand. Again, warm, clean water and salt should do the trick. Just keep at it and he'll start to perk up eventually.