Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 03:59 AM   #31 
Rolling21

Oh ok, that's easy enough!

Well i've totalled up all my expenses now, and I can't get it under $110.

I can import it all from an American site for $113, or buy it all individually for $125.

API Master Test Kit
Seashem Prime Freshwater 250ml
Red Sea Deco Art Nano Filter
Red Sea Deco Art Replacement Pads

LittleBettaFish, do you know of any places I can get the API kit cheap in Australia, or a readily available equivalent?

I can get the Filter+pads for $38 delivered which is good, but the other things throw me off.
Rolling21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #32 
LittleBettaFish

I never bothered getting the master kit, since all I wanted was ammonia and nitrite testers. But I've purchased from here online before (some fluval filters and Eheim heaters which were way below what I paid at the LFS) http://www.aquariumsupermarket.com.au/ and they were really good, got $21.00 worth of free filter sponge when I ordered a couple of discontinued Fluval 1 Plus filters. Also ordered from these guys http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au but sometimes some of their stuff is out of stock, and with me it always seems to be the stuff I want .

I was only over at Pet Barn in Plenty Valley the other day and picked up the ammonia tester for $17.00, didn't see how much the nitrite one was. But lately they've been replacing their better stock with cheaper brands, so I tend to buy online now. Even with shipping, I still came out on top.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #33 
Rolling21

Is ammonia and nitrIte testers all that is needed to cycle? Perhaps i'll follow suit and just pick up those two if it works out cheaper.

I just purchased my red sea filter from the U.S, very cheap! So i'm happy with that.

With those plants mentioned before, do they require any special lighting? I was looking at getting one of these:

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/lighting/led-lights-moon-lights/weipro-led-lights/led-mini-clip-light-3w/prod_1748.html
Old 10-10-2010, 09:45 AM   #34 
JKfish

no, you'll want nitrAte too, seeing as you need to know that there is some present to insure you have a cycle.

Oh, you don't need to buy the replacement pads. The nano comes with foam, which will be enough. To clean it, all you have to do is swish it in water to get the excess mulm off (like little betta said). Though, you might want to consider buying extra foam because if you put it in, more good bacteria will grow on it, plus it'll filter very well. The point of those pads is to remove ammonia (the carbon in there does that) and to mechanically take out the mulm. but if you cycle, once you have the benificial bacteria, the bacteria takes out the ammonia (and makes it into nitrates) and the sponge it is on takes out the icky stuff.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #35 
Rolling21

I see! Well i'll get ordering on the complete API test kit then. I already bought the extra pads with it, but they were cheap so it's alright.

This is so crazy, 2 weeks ago I thought I was going to spend $30 and have a nice little pet fish and now here I am with nearly $200 gone! yikes. I'm sure it will be worth it once it's all set up though
Old 10-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #36 
JKfish

Lol, i know what you mean.... my first betta was my little brothers, and once I decided to give him something bigger than a 1/2 gallon, and I got the 10 gallon all set up, I'd spent over 100$, which doesn't count the extra plants and decor I've been adding.

It'll be worth it, seeing as a healthy betta can live 5 years. Your set up will probably last you a life time.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:50 PM   #37 
JessG

I found another cheap and easy way to help your filter with the cycling, if you are worried about replacing filter pads.

I used a little bit of cheesecloth that I strapped around the outflow of my filter with a rubber band to serve as a baffle. Now the bacteria is growing on the cheesecloth baffle, and when I change the filter, I can lay the old cheesecloth over the filter to start the bacteria growing on the new pad, and then put in a new cheesecloth baffle once everything settles down and evens out again.

Jess
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #38 
LittleBettaFish

It was like me when I first bought my betta. Sometimes it's easier being ignorant because it's a heck of a lot cheaper! Now I've got a $1000 rimless three foot tank on order to divide up, and a bunch of $200 tanks sitting in my room that now have to go into storage. I just hope the bloody thing doesn't fall through my floor I'm leaving the country if it does.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #39 
Rolling21

Cheesecloth huh? That's an interesting approach, but sounds like it would work! Since I have ordered the extra pads, I think maybe cutting them in thirds and replace a third at a time will suit best, but i'll keep the cloth in mind.

Wow, $1000 a tank?! Bet it's a beauty though!

Hm, I was just emailed saying my filter will be delayed due to a holiday or something in the U.S on monday and there being no postage. I need that filter! My tank is so brown now from the driftwood being in there just over a day now
Old 10-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #40 
Alex09

Dont worry. Tannis (the brown stuff) is harmless - And bettas love it! the water is murky and cloudy in their natural environment. I hear it promotes healing too.
Alex09 is offline   Reply With Quote