Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #1 
StacyK

Unhappy White spot...help...sick of some sort???

Trique has this interesting white spot on him. It doesn't look like ick, much to large of a white spot for that. it's above his right fin and behind his right eye. The area is about the size of a piece of cooked couscous. I'd post a picture but Trique is at work and I can't bring a camera in. That's the best description I can give. Anyone have any ideas?

When I look at the spot really closely, (hard to do because he keeps moving around) it looks like this scales around that white spot are lifted up so they look like they are standing almost like he's got a fish zit or something. I've never seen anything like this before. HELP!!!!

Last edited by StacyK; 10-08-2010 at 08:31 AM.
StacyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:35 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

How big is the tank, filtration, live plants, water temp, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one, additives used, appetite and feeding, any change in behavior any flashing/rubbing etc.....
With the white spot-any texture to it or is it flat, fuzzy looking, size of a scale or larger/smaller.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:48 AM   #3 
StacyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
How big is the tank, filtration, live plants, water temp, how much and how often on the water changes and when was the last one, additives used, appetite and feeding, any change in behavior any flashing/rubbing etc.....
With the white spot-any texture to it or is it flat, fuzzy looking, size of a scale or larger/smaller.....
2.5 Gal Tank with undergravel air filter, no live plants, water temp is at 83, Last water change was Tuesday, changed 2 gal. Treated the water with API Proper pH 7.0 and Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus (same things I've been using for a while). I usually do this type of water change twice a week. Appetite is normal I feed 2 pellets twice a day. behavior is the same, no rubbing noticed.

Today's test kit values are:
pH: 7.2
Ammonia: 8 ppm (wow! how did it get that high?)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm

As for texture of the spot, i'm having a hard time figuring out if it is the scale texture I'm seeing or if it's the texture of the spot. It might be fuzzy looking. I'd put it about the size of 3 scales. It wasn't there yesterday.

Going to do a 2 gal water change now, because the ammonia is so high.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:03 AM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Ammonia of 8ppm can't be right or the fish would be struggling or dead.....what kind of testing products are you using? It could also be chemical reaction from all the chemical additives used and causing false readings..... good that you are doing a water change, your tank must not be cycled since you don't have any nitrate readings-how long has the tank been set-up
I would decrease your water temp some-just to be safe-could be a sign of flexibacter columnaris and it loves high water temp-watch for the white spot to grow and move up over his back.

You may want to go a head and do some daily water changes for several days to and get the substrate cleaned good so that the UGF will work properly
Old 10-08-2010, 09:19 AM   #5 
StacyK

Everything is working normally. I only use 2 things for his water, and neither of those should affect the ammonia level (I don't think). I'm using the API freshwater master test kit for my water tests. I bought Trique on 9/7/2010 and had the tank running a good 3 weeks before that. The Nitrates have always been at 0.

I cleaned the substrate just now with the vacuum. I have the decorative glass pebble/rock things to allow good water flow at all times. The normal water pH is about 8 if I don't set it to 7. I can't adjust the temperature of the heater, I can only unplug it. I have the Hydra mini heater under the gravel. suppose I could unplug it. The problem is that I won't be in the office over the weekend to keep a good watch on him. Why do these things always happen when we're not gonna be here.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:44 AM   #6 
StacyK

Just to double check the chemical reaction theory with the ammonia test I took some of the clean fresh treated water for Trique's tank and did the test. Ammonia level is 0...so I don't see any chemical reaction going on there with the test.

There does seem to be some green algae growing on the edges of the silk plant (only one of those). The plastic ones are just fine, and I vacuumed up some green algae bits from inside bottom of tank of the bubble tube (not sure what else to call it). other than that everything looks great in his tank.
Old 10-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #7 
StacyK

So I've done some reading about that flexibacter columnaris bacteria. Based on the descriptions given there this could be what Trique has. Has anyone used Maracyn and Maracyn-Two to treat this in Betta's? What about aquarium salt. I just read a study that said that in freshwater tanks with a .3% salinity level there was a 100% survival rate. Can you use aquarium salt with Betta's? I'd like to get him on the mend ASAP. It sounds like this can be a very deadly bacteria if not treated quickly. Here's the suggested treatment that I've found so far. I have already unplugged his heater to lower the water temperature. What do you think?

• Feed medicated food containing oxytetracycline, tetracycline or kanamycin.
  • Kanamycin (Kanaplex or Kanamycin) daily in the water for both Flexibacter and Aeromonas. As an alternate choice, Maracyn (erythromycin) for Flexibacter and Maracyn-Two (minocycline) for Aeromonas can be used in the water. Overseas fishkeepers can use either Waterlife’s Myxazin or Interpet’s AntiFungus and Finrot. Decrease the temperature to 75-76ºF and no higher.
  • Increase aeration.
  • Add aquarium salt (.1-.3% salinity, where .3% is best)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:07 AM   #8 
wystearya

I don't know anything about the medications, or lowering the heat. But, I do know that aquarium salt can be used for Bettas. I've done so in the past and I see it recommended as treatments often.

I think the typical "dose" is 1 teaspoon per gallon. I usually don't use that much, but others have and had success with it.

Make sure you use aquarium salt and not sea-salt or other "people food" salt.
wystearya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:11 AM   #9 
StacyK

yes, that's what I read for dosing to get a .1% salinity level with the aquarium salt. I'll be stopping at lunch time to pick some of this up today.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

For Flex-the treatment I use is-lower the water temp to 76F, aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, add aeration and lots of water changes-I do this in small QT containers-if it is the slow moving strain the fish usually survives, the fast moving they are usually dead within 12-24h and will have gaping holes/wound on them that eats away at the flesh. I don't use antibiotic so I can't recommend any, however, a broad spectrum for gram negative and gram positive is best.

This bacteria is in the tank all the time just waiting on the right conditions to infect the fish.

I would try and take him home for the weekend if you can....."Murphy law" at work.......