Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 04:15 PM   #1 
SwimmyTheBetta

Fry Foods and Cultures

Hello everyone,
I got my male HM in from Thailand about a week ago and my HM female is supposed to be here this week. I have done tons of research on breeding bettas and I have viewed tons of threads here as well. It will be a few weeks before I breed, and I am willing to buy cultures, but I was wondering if anyone has tried boiled egg yolk or Attison's betta starter for fry food? If so, have you had any success with it? As far as cultures go what do you guys prefer? I was thinking about Vinegar Eels but I wanted the opinions of experienced breeders.

Thanks
SwimmyTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:17 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

I don't mess with egg yolk or Atisons. I do add a little Hikari First Bites a couple times a week to the fry during the first month.

I prefer baby brine shrimp, a little difficult to hatch but I like it :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:37 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

I like to use the infusoria that is naturally in my tanks for first foods- then I add newly hatched brine shrimp with yolk sac intact for the first couple of weeks- then I add tiny mosquito larva, daphnia, seed shrimp, white worms along with HUFA supplemented BBS and newly hatched BBS-
I feed my fry based on their size and growth/development-some get a little of everything and others may just get some of it.
It is also based on the time of year and what I have growing for food-I try to keep the diet varied and balanced to get best growth and development as well as lots of fresh water from water changes.
As the fry grow I move the larger ones to different and larger grow-out tanks to help make feeding larger food easier and to limit the effect of the stunting hormone on the smaller fry

I usually keep at least two BBS hatcheries going all the times and a white worm culture in the house-everything else is outside cultures and seasonal.

I have tried the boiled egg yolk and didn't care for it more due to pollution and the smell.....but I have read about people that have used it without problems.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:32 PM   #4 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thanks for the replies. Would Infusoria and BBS be enough to feed them for the first 2 weeks or so? Also, has anyone tried the San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp Hatchery?
Old 10-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmyTheBetta View Post
Thanks for the replies. Would Infusoria and BBS be enough to feed them for the first 2 weeks or so? Also, has anyone tried the San Francisco Bay Brine Shrimp Hatchery?
Yup those foods are perfect and BBS works for up to 5 weeks or so depending on their size.

I've tried it but I just make my own, it just works better. You can search up some videos o youtube on how to hatch them :)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #6 
SwimmyTheBetta

I've also heard some people start out with their spawning tanks only half full and then gradually increase the amount of water each water change until its full, while others just keep it full the entire time. What has worked best for you guys?

Thanks for the replies again :)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:41 PM   #7 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwimmyTheBetta View Post
I've also heard some people start out with their spawning tanks only half full and then gradually increase the amount of water each water change until its full, while others just keep it full the entire time. What has worked best for you guys?

Thanks for the replies again :)
I fill mine with 3 inches of water. Then as soon as dad is out I fill the tank up. I start filling after dad is back in his jar. I just fill a bucket with water and slowly siphon the new water into the tank. Since I use 5 gallons for breeding my tank is filled up within a few hours :)
Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 PM   #8 
SwimmyTheBetta

Thanks so much! You've been a big help!
Old 10-10-2010, 09:55 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

No problem :)
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 AM   #10 
Oldfishlady

I like to use the full to the top with water method to both spawn and rear fry-but I also use natural planted tanks with soil substrate and sand cap.

You lower the water level for the male not the eggs/fry-some males can really struggle and get tired during the spawning act swimming back and forth gathering eggs and tending if not properly conditioned and sometimes it is just due to their fins.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote