Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2010, 04:00 PM   #1 
Omega3

Questions on Used Tank

I just purchased a 2.5 Mini Bow sans hood and filter but with gravel, hidespot and plants at Goodwill for $7. I know I will need a heater, filter, and a cover of some sort for a betta.

1) What is the best way to clean it? I'm looking for cleaning materials (vinegar and salt, clorox, etc) as wells as how many times to clean it. I'm going to let it stand for 2 weeks for bacteria genocide.

2) What do you guys think of the betta plants sold in packs of 3 bulbs at pet stores? There are too many plants and they're all plastic, which I read can damage the fins.

3) What heater do you recommend? I've read mixed reviews on the hydori mini heater.

4) What filter do you recommend?

5) Though it would likely be too much for the tank, what are your thoughts on the meters that give pH and nitrate concentration? (the ones that resemble thermometers but don't read temperature)

6) Thoughts on lids would be nice! I don't want my future friend to jump out. Might floating plants deter leaping or would that take so many as to disrupt the O2 diffusion and fish's ability to reach the surface to breath?

7) What is cycling? Sometimes, I read articles about cycling and it sounds like just setting up the tank and running the filter for 24 hours and sometimes I read that one should add bacteria before doing. I'll re-read the beginner's guide to cycling, but a "nutshell definition" would be nice!

Thanks! Any and all advice is appreciated!
Omega3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:16 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

Im sorry but i cant help you with the other questions but when i have a used tank and everything, i clean the entire tank with vinegar and then wash it down with very hot water, then cool the tank down with cold water. With plants i like to used just very hot water and scrub dirt off with a NEW sponge with NO SOAP at all. Then i just boil the plastic plants and scrub again and rinse. Then your all done. But
(THIS ONLY WORKS WITH PLASTIC PLANTS)

With live plants i just wash down with (warm ALMOST COOL water) And that seems to work very well for me:) Have fun and good luck!!
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #3 
Neelie

1) What is the best way to clean it? I'm looking for cleaning materials (vinegar and salt, clorox, etc) as wells as how many times to clean it. I'm going to let it stand for 2 weeks for bacteria genocide.
right, when buying a 2nd hand tank all i do is wash it out with normal washing up liquid and give it a good rinse. a very good rinse. for the cleaning your doing after that you'll only need a sponge, a toothbrush for the deco and running water tbh there's no real need to let it stand for 2 weeks....

2) What do you guys think of the betta plants sold in packs of 3 bulbs at pet stores? There are too many plants and they're all plastic, which I read can damage the fins.

bring a womans nylon stocking. let the plants rub against it gently and if the plant catches it, its NOT suitable. any type of silk plants (made of fabric) wont damage the fins anyways. no need to worry that much.

3) What heater do you recommend? I've read mixed reviews on the hydori mini heater.

i use hydor heater pads. cheap and work fine.

4) What filter do you recommend?

no need for a filter at all with that size tank. chances are your gonna have way too much current with one in it. id leave it out.

5) Though it would likely be too much for the tank, what are your thoughts on the meters that give pH and nitrate concentration? (the ones that resemble thermometers but don't read temperature)

not needed. test the PH of your water. it most likely wont ever change anyways. you wont need any other meters, except thermometers. they are neccessary!

6) Thoughts on lids would be nice! I don't want my future friend to jump out. Might floating plants deter leaping or would that take so many as to disrupt the O2 diffusion and fish's ability to reach the surface to breath?

you really should have a lid.... betta can jump high. either you do find a secure lid OR you leave about 2" between the water surface and the rim of the tank. leave out any unneeded plants tbh, you need to clean the tank and anything in it will need cleaning too.

7) What is cycling? Sometimes, I read articles about cycling and it sounds like just setting up the tank and running the filter for 24 hours and sometimes I read that one should add bacteria before doing. I'll re-read the beginner's guide to cycling, but a "nutshell definition" would be nice!
you dont need to worry about cycling a tiny tank like that... its not reliable IMO and i dont recommend it for that size tank at all. the 24hour cycling thing isnt quite true either... IMO its just a company selling a product to ppl that believe what it says on the package. it is possible to cycle in a week or 2 but not 24 hours...
Neelie is offline   Reply With Quote