Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2010, 04:09 PM   #1 
LadyDrakul

cloudy water???

i have cloudy water..what do i need to do...i changed his water yesturday and until today had no problems with cloudy water.
LadyDrakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #2 
bettalover2033

What foods do you feed him?
What kind of filter do you have?
What size tank is he in?
When was the last water change?
Did you remember to clean his filter sponge?
I had these same problems when i fed my goldfish too many flakes and had poor filtration.
bettalover2033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #3 
LadyDrakul

bettamin flakes...its the only thing he will eat
i dont have filter yet...i have a 2 gallon tank now i will be upgrading to either a 5 or 10 gal next week..so no filtration..
I just changed his water yesturday..
Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #4 
JKfish

How often do you change his water?

In a 2 gallon, you'd need to do a 100% every 3-4 days, so if you aren't, there is a chance the tank is experiencing a bacteria bloom that was caused by ammonia build up. Do a 100% water change and scrub his tank in hot water to get the cloudlyness to go away.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #5 
LadyDrakul

Yes I do a 100% water change every 3 days and scrub everything under hot water do u think that need to change it again today even though I changed it yesturday...
Old 10-08-2010, 08:40 PM   #6 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDrakul View Post
bettamin flakes...its the only thing he will eat
i dont have filter yet...i have a 2 gallon tank now i will be upgrading to either a 5 or 10 gal next week..so no filtration..
I just changed his water yesturday..

Well any type of flakes always cloud the water, but if you manage the water quality then its okay. Also its because the flakes that are not eaten fall to the bottom and just create bacteria. So a filter is demanded if you dont want to do a complete water change everyday with gravel and such. So this is why a 4-10 gallon tank is recommended. Well i think a 2 gal tank is fine with a filter, if not then you will have to do a 100% water change everyday. So its just the filtration system that you need. As long as you get a bigger tank with a filter in the future. Also please TRY freeze dried bloodworm's. BETTAS GO CRAZY FOR THEM!! lol i have a small canister of them and they are the best! my bettas love them and they DONT bloat the bettas like pellets do. but flakes are okay but i dont like them because they do what they did to your tank. Cloud it. so just get some freeze dried blood worms.

I hope this helped out!
Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #7 
LadyDrakul

it helps out a lot.. i will be getting a filter when i get my 10 gallon and i dont like the flakes b/c of not being able to get them out but he spits out the pellets everytime.. i might try soaking them first then seeing if he will take the pellets..I'm getting bloodworms for him tomorrow.. I have read that they love them..Thanks for your help
Old 10-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #8 
bettalover2033

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDrakul View Post
it helps out a lot.. i will be getting a filter when i get my 10 gallon and i dont like the flakes b/c of not being able to get them out but he spits out the pellets everytime.. i might try soaking them first then seeing if he will take the pellets..I'm getting bloodworms for him tomorrow.. I have read that they love them..Thanks for your help
You can get a small snail and they will eat the uneaten food. but still get blood worms and if you decide to feed him pellets soak them in garlic juice. They love it. Or if you dont have any garlic juice just soak them in water first then feed him them:)
Old 10-08-2010, 10:41 PM   #9 
JKfish

Snails create so much waste, they aren't worth it, unless you like watching them. Shrimps on the other hands are basically living vacuums. Freeze dried food isn't that great, seeing as it has little nutritional value. Go for pellets with some form of protien as the first ingredient or frozen foods. Pellets make the least ammount of mess and are easier to feed.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:41 AM   #10 
LadyDrakul

Thank you that is what i am going to do today.. get pellets and bloodworms...