Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #1 
Reflux

Smile Live, Frozen and Freeze-dried bloodworms.

Hey, I was wondering if there's any difference in the nutritional value of live, frozen and freeze-dried bloodworms.

I was thinking of getting them as a treat for my fishes but I'm unsure of what to get. Live and frozen ones could be rather inconvienent due to the lack of space as well as a freezer in my apartment.

Are the freeze-dried ones any good?
Reflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #2 
BlueHaven

Freeze dried bloodworms are good and I don't think there is any chance of parasites with them as their are with live or frozen ones. I read that somewhere....but Omega One and Hikari are both good brands for freeze dried foods. :)
BlueHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #3 
BettaBoy84

Reflux..

like Blue haven said, no parasites in freeze dried...

but live food is definitely the way to go for nutrients...fresh live food always holds more nutritional value.

IMO the betta's grow faster, healthier and more colorful with live food, having to actively chase it down (Brine shrimp) or just benefiting from the higher nutrients in the food. This can however, prove difficult for some as it requires more space, time and little more $ sometimes...

However..I have larger planted tanks, with snails and many betta anf fry..
Also, Dry food is quick easy and can be cleaner...still having nutritional vale in the quality brands ble have mentioned!

Freeze dried I find is the messiest, if not using creative changes to packaging..Bags need to be de-thawed then frozen again after use if you cannot break pieces off easily. This causes food to slowly rot between uses and the constant freeze thaw continues to breakdown cellular structure of the food decreasing its nutritional value...

Its all preference of use and there are slight benefits to having live foods as well as freeze dried...
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:26 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Live:
Pro-the most nutrious.
Con-Could carry diseases/parasites, so it's not recommended to feed to your betta...plus it is just gross imo.

Frozen: Don't know much about this. Again, grosses me out...Um, you'll need to break off chunks and thaw it before you feed, obviously.

Freeze-dried:
Pros-Much cleaner and easier to feed. They're sterile too!
Cons-Not as nutricious, you need to soak them first...
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #5 
LadyDrakul

Freeze dried will sometimes make you betta bloat. This happened to me so I switched to frozen.
LadyDrakul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 AM   #6 
Reflux

Alright, thanks so much people. I think I'm going with freeze dried since it seems to be more convienent for me. I'm thinking of using them as treats for my bettas, shouldn't be feeding them that much.

I'll keep a look out for Hikari or Omega One freeze dried bloodworms the next time I hit the pet store.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #7 
BettaBoy84

I use omega one, brine shrimp and blood worms, also mix in the colored smallbite sized tetras..high in nutrients apparently..

Hey any good Landscape Architecture firms you know of in Singapore?
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #8 
Bloodeath

...you can buy frozen blood worms already seperated in like 30 different chunks, that feed comfortably about 12 fish. only costs like 13$ and will make your betta happier then freeze dried imo.

its what i do, its really handy, if you only use it once a week for treats, it lasts FOREVER. lol
Bloodeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:40 AM   #9 
Reflux

Not really Bettaboy, sorry.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:47 PM   #10 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodeath View Post
...you can buy frozen blood worms already seperated in like 30 different chunks, that feed comfortably about 12 fish. only costs like 13$ and will make your betta happier then freeze dried imo.

its what i do, its really handy, if you only use it once a week for treats, it lasts FOREVER. lol
Lasts forever? I was told to make sure frozen foods are used up within 4 months.
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote