Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #11 
JessG

If you are testing, and you notice that the ammonia or nitrite levels get up into stress out or kill the fish territory, you can do what I did and take Fusion out and put him in a little bowl you can easily clean frequently until his tank settles back down to levels that won't hurt him.

Jess
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:24 PM   #12 
JKfish

Jess: If he does testing daily and doing water changes when things get above 0.25, he is preventing the ammonia from getting that dangerous
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:21 PM   #13 
JessG

True, my overfeeding caused a problem with my small tank, but you never know when something is going to go wonky.

All I'm saying is that if the fish seems stressed, sick, or off somehow, I'd get him out of a situation where he's constantly exposed to ammonia and nitrite without clearing out the progress you've made in the tank so far.

But that should probably be a last resort.

Jess
JessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:12 PM   #14 
blake711

JKFish- I have a new 5 gallon tank. I just put my new fish into it yesterday. Until I can source the test kit you suggested how often and should I change out the water? I would prefer to not do a 100% change also.
blake711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #15 
wallywestisthebest333

blake: You can get the API MAster Test kit at Petsmart, PetCo, or any pet store that sells fish. Or you could get it online if you want to get it cheaper and wait. Just make sure you get the Fresh Water test kit and not the Marine test kit.

As for how often to change it without a test kit I'd wait for JK's answer. =] I have no idea on that one. Just thought I'd answer what I could. =]
wallywestisthebest333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:46 PM   #16 
kfish

If it were my tank, I'd do 50% water changes twice a week, vacuuming the substrate once a week, just to be safe. This is assuming you have a filter.

I have a 5 gallon filtered, uncycled (as of yet) tank and so far it seems like 50% every five days to a week is about right with water tests.
kfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:58 PM   #17 
Jupiter

In my uncycled 5 gallon, I did one 100% change weekly, on top of a 25% one.

If you're cycling with fish in your tank, like I did, be sure to stay on top of those water changes! Sometimes I had to do more than one water change a day to prevent the ammonia from going up too high. Keep a close eye on the levels.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:09 AM   #18 
Ajones108

I cycled my 5 gallon with pure ammonia and a bacteria source, fishless. Check out the link in my signature that leads to my thread and the water prams I saw throughout my cycle.
Ajones108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 02:38 PM   #19 
Canuck Fins

I've read through the stuck thread about cycling, but this is really helpful to have it broken down to really basic. I'm nervous about doing this but I think I do want to do the cycled tank too. Thanks!
Canuck Fins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 PM   #20 
JKfish

Blake: Kfish and Jupiter are right. Do about two 50% water changes a week with one being a gravel vaccuum as well would do, though if you see your betta acting oddly, do a 25-50% water change. Make sure you remove uneaten food. Once you get your test kit, you'd probably want to test daily and do water changes as you see the ammonia or nitrite get too high (above .25 ppm) (sorry for the late reply D: )

CanuckFins: What I described was with fish in, fishless has slightly different instructions. I'm glad it helped ^-^
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote