Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-08-2010, 11:06 PM   #1 
swoozie13579

breeding????

i have a few questions about breeding Betta.
#1. how do u know if u fish (female and male) is ready to breed???
#2. wouldn't they fight if i put them in the same cage??
#3. i need to know all the basics of breeding Betta.
#4 how do u need to set up the breeding cage??
#5 does the mail need to get out of the cage when they finish breeding, or do they need to stay in there till the baby's are born??
#6 wont the female and/or the male eat the eggs or babys if u dont seprate them?? (they female and male from the eggs/baby's?

basically every thing if you can only answer one or two plz do. if you can answer all of them plz plz do!!
thx for helping.
swoozie13579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:31 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoozie13579 View Post
i have a few questions about breeding Betta.
#1. how do u know if u fish (female and male) is ready to breed???
#2. wouldn't they fight if i put them in the same cage??
#3. i need to know all the basics of breeding Betta.
#4 how do u need to set up the breeding cage??
#5 does the mail need to get out of the cage when they finish breeding, or do they need to stay in there till the baby's are born??
#6 wont the female and/or the male eat the eggs or babys if u dont seprate them?? (they female and male from the eggs/baby's?

basically every thing if you can only answer one or two plz do. if you can answer all of them plz plz do!!
thx for helping.
1. The male will build a nest. Some may be HUGE others small. It really depends on the male. Females will look ice and fat and if she's dark colored she'll show horizontal bars on her side.
2. Yes, they fight. I've had males and females get their butts kicked. Some are more gentle than others. The ones I've had that were peaceful were kept together (the female in a plastic cups with holes) for a few days. The male got to work on the nest and she got nice and fat.
3. RESEARCH!!! There's too much to write on one reply.
4. Depending on the person some people do it differently. I put my small corner filter in one of the back corners and my heater on the ground next to it. Then half the tank is choked with caves and live plants. I put a styrofoam cup on the side without plants or even a lid of some sort. The female is placed in either a plastic cup or a hurricane lantern.
5. As soon as spawning is complete the female MUST come out of the tank. Do it in a way that won't ruin the bubble nest. The male must be left in the spawning tank until the babies hatch and start swimming. So as soon as they're swimming around you need to remove him. Be sure not to net fry!
6. Some do, most don't. Females will often place eggs in the nest with the male. Males will take care of the eggs and the babys until they start swimming, then you remove him.

If you've only had a betta for a few months don't even think about breeding them. You shouldn't breed them unless you've had bettas for more than a year and have done a heck of a lot of research. Pleas consider the hundreds of lives this can rseult in. One slip up and they could all die.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:48 PM   #3 
purplemuffin

And don't forget the amount of work! Big water changes, a lot of feeding, and culturing food small enough for them to eat! And if you miss a day it could mean they get sick and die :( Not fun!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:51 PM   #4 
swoozie13579

i wasn't23 planning on breeding them for a LONG LONG LONG time. i just wanted to get an idea of how much work it is. i would find homes for most of them then breed them. i would not be able to keep like 70 fish. that would be way too hard, also so much work to feed them every day and clean out there cage every week. also i would have a place to put them till there owner gets them, but not forever.
thank you for giving me the answers to all the questions.
Old 10-08-2010, 11:54 PM   #5 
MrVampire181

Well that's good to hear. Also be sure to only breed nice bettas. There's too many unfortunate veiltails rotting away at petstores. A $30 pair off aqaubid will get you farther in breeding than any fish from a petstore.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 AM   #6 
swoozie13579

if i decide to breed, then i will thank about if i can really take care of them.
i will find homes for most of them before i breed them. i dont want to be stuck with like 70 betta.
thanks to everyone who helped.