Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Hole on head!!

Hi!
Ok I noticed last night as I was checking on the boy's and their snail's that Jet has like a big chunk of like scales missing on his head, and underneath is white (do fish have skull's? Do red fish have white skin? Jet is a mutt King veiltail betta maybe he's made different).

The only thing that I know could have did this is his snail (right now the snail is hiding in the plants so I can't get a picture, its a medium sized black mystery snail) He kept poking at the snail, and the snail (I just bought them, has a bit of a ragged shell)

My question is, should I treat this with salt, do scales grow back (if it is that)
Thankx for ur help.
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:15 AM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaspersANGEL View Post
Hi!
Ok I noticed last night as I was checking on the boy's and their snail's that Jet has like a big chunk of like scales missing on his head, and underneath is white (do fish have skull's? Do red fish have white skin? Jet is a mutt King veiltail betta maybe he's made different).

The only thing that I know could have did this is his snail (right now the snail is hiding in the plants so I can't get a picture, its a medium sized black mystery snail) He kept poking at the snail, and the snail (I just bought them, has a bit of a ragged shell)

My question is, should I treat this with salt, do scales grow back (if it is that)
Thankx for ur help.

Yes Scales grow back, Do NOT treat with salt whilst hes in the same tank as the snail..

As salt Will Kill the snail
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:25 AM   #3 
JaspersANGEL

I have a salt bath tank
Old 10-10-2010, 12:41 PM   #4 
BettaGirl290

well, my fish is losing scales too. im treating her with betta fix and epsom salt, seeing what might happen. im crossing my fingers!
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:50 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

Ya i'll start salt baths on him on tuesday or somthing..

i have a hospital tank where i give him the salt bath, that means i have to take the net and fish him out. I hate doing that cause he's big enough to do himself some damage (he already does) he thrashes around like a mad man in the net and he hurts his right fin, and im just scared that one day he'll hurt it to the point that he won't be able to use it anymore.

do any of u guys have any alternatives to the net, i could use..and one that takes in the less water possible, cause he's going in the salty water anyways.

thankx
Old 10-10-2010, 01:57 PM   #6 
JaspersANGEL

it looks worse in real than in the pictures ( he still spazzes out alot, for him it's normal lol)

it actually wraps around his right eye and starts at his upper lip and goes down his head

actually i think it grew (the whole got wider)

is it missing scalles?

ima take the snail out tonight and see
Attached Images

Last edited by JaspersANGEL; 10-10-2010 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:20 PM   #7 
DragonFish

..I highly doubt it was the snail. Snails don't attack live fish xD and its highly unlikely they could cause that kind of damage anyway.
Its likely he scraped his head on one of the decorations in the tank....I've seen this happen plenty of times. Just go through and check for anything even mildly sharp in his tank, then remove/replace it.

How big is his usual tank and how big is the hospital tank? I, personally, don't like salt baths in most cases...moving the fish in and out of salty water, IMHO, causes more harm then good since its got to be rather stressful on the fish. In some cases it may be appropriate, but in this case I don't think so.
Either leave him in the hospital tank with salt(assuming is at least a gallon)and preform daily 100% water changes, or remove the snail, add salt to his main tank(1tsp per gallon), and up your water changes a bit(depending on the tank size). He should heal up eventually with warm, clean, salted water ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:06 PM   #8 
JaspersANGEL

He's in a 5g. and the hospital tank is a 1/2 g. (I should call it a hospital container instead *lol*)
I hate giving him salt baths for the reasons I gave on my earlier post, he goes nuts in the net and hurts himself. So I'll most likely remove the snail and dose his tank wit salt.
I could switch him with Romad or Tex, both are in 2.5g.'s ( Romad's tank would be better it's practically empty). Since I would probably need to do a 100% after to take the salt out of the tank..it would be easier with a 2.5g.
But he'll have to suffer another trip in the net to do the switch...
What do u guys think?

I do all my water changes at once,,y not..so the 5g. gets a water only water change on mondays and a water change along with a vacumm on fridays.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Is your 5 gallon cycled? How often are you normally changing the water and how much?
I wouldn't swich tanks around.....just to be on the safe side. You never know.

I don't use a net for any sort of water change....I save the cups I get them in and scoop them out, the accumulate them back in after the change. Its a LOT less stressful.
If I MUST get them out of the water without a cup I usually use my hand...I rarely use the net. for my bettas.
If your tank is cycled and your only doing partial water changes...theres no need to remove him at all.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #10 
JaspersANGEL

My 5 g. is not cycled..no
I change the water twice a week, exact schedual is in my earlier post. I change 85% or so..

Yea great idea, as soon as I posted that I could switch my fish tanks I regreted it

I leave the fish in when I do my water changes.

But to recap:
I take the snail out
I dose Jet's tank with salt.. for how long?