Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-23-2010, 09:31 AM   #1 
Regina83

Sick Betta

Hello,
I hate this to be my first post but I really need your help. My Betta Steve is very sick and I am not sure what I can do for him.

*Has no eaten in 6 days, very skinny
*Breathing heavy, gills are turning silver
*Wont swim around, just sits on the bottom of the tank

He is in a 1 gallon tank with filter for water circulation. It's about 75 degrees in my office. I also change his water once a week.

I just put 1/2 tsp of salt on the water. Please tell me if that is not enough also how often am I suppose to be putting it in the water.

I have had other Betta's at work with me and they have lived 4-5 years. I am not sure what is wrong with this Betta, I have only had him for about 6 months.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!
Regina
Regina83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:33 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

I would start by making a 50-100% water change for a couple of days and get the water temp up to 78F-it sounds like either you didn't use enough dechlorinator in the water or some type of contamination in the water or he is just cold.

I would also increase your regular water changes to 3- 50% weekly-since you have a filter-but I would still do 100% monthly at least
Some fish can tolerate poor conditions and lower water temps better than other....

I would also start getting the aquarium salt out and only use it short term for treatments if needed-long term is not good for them especially at low doses as that can cause resistant issues.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #3 
Regina83

Thank you,
I will do a 50% water change now and tonight I will go out and buy a small heater to get the temp up (http://www.amazon.com/Hydor-Mini-Hea...5244732&sr=8-1).

Also I noticed that his fins are starting to get stringy in the front :(. I hope he doesn't die on me.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:48 PM   #4 
Regina83

I also wanted to mention I use spring water, not tap. I do not use additives in the water.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Sometimes even the bottled water can be just filtered tap water (not all) and still have additives like chlorine and chloramine and it is best to use a good dechlorinated with its use for fish-depending on the filtration it can often have the missing minerals that fish need for good health too...I would recommend that you use a 50/50 mix of your spring water and tap as well as a dechlorinator or just use tap water-with either I would always use a dechlorinator that covers chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals.
Old 09-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #6 
Regina83

I feel so bad, he is defiantly not getting better, he is so skinny. I try to feed him but he has not swam for 2 days so he is literally starving to death. Nothing I have tried is working :(. He is in a tank at my work and I wish I could bring him home for the weekend but I know it will stress him out more. I am going to put a few pellets of food in the tank before I go home today and then I hope a miracle happens and he is better when I come in on Monday.
Please pray for Steve, he needs it!!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:11 AM   #7 
Regina83

Yes, my fish is still alive but barely :(. I am to the point I think it is time to put him to sleep. Please tell me the best way to do this. My mom said I should just flush him that it's just a fish but I feel bad cause he will suffer more. Please help.
Thank you
Regina
Old 10-19-2010, 10:07 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

If you don't have clove oil on hand, do the cold method-I like to start off with ice cold water and drop the fish in it to shock them and then place in the freezer for a couple of hours to make sure.
Sorry about your fish....these things happen....
Old 10-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #9 
Regina83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
If you don't have clove oil on hand, do the cold method-I like to start off with ice cold water and drop the fish in it to shock them and then place in the freezer for a couple of hours to make sure.
Sorry about your fish....these things happen....
This is not stressful to them?
Old 10-19-2010, 10:29 AM   #10 
NoodleSolly

I'm sorry Steve didn't get better, Regina. If you don't want to do the freezer method there are a few other methods, do some research to find the best for you. I got my dad to euthanise my first betta who had dropsy and he decapitated him. I know it sounds terrible but I couldn't get hold of clove oil and I didn't want to do the other things people suggested. It's extremely quick, but if you go that route then get someone else to do it (unless you have the stomach).
NoodleSolly is offline   Reply With Quote