Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 04:58 PM   #11 
DragonFish

...If the 5 gallon is uncycled, you should be doing at least one 100% change a week. Partial water changes in-between are just fine, but you need that 100% water change in any uncycled tank to get rid of ALL the ammonia...if you just keep doing partials, whatever ammonia is left over will build up overtime and harm or kill your fish.
2.5 gallons should get 2-3 100% changes per week, just so you know.

To help keep the water cleaner while treating for the 5, bump the 100% up to a couple times per week and perhaps do a couple 30%-50%s in between your 100%s. Remember, when dong partials, only add salt equivalent to the water you took out ;)

Yup, take snail out and dose with salt(be sure to fully dissolve before adding). Do this until hes healed.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:18 PM   #12 
JaspersANGEL

100% water changes are not ideal with my work schedual but i could maybe make fridays water change a 100% one.

the reason i don't do a 100% water change is i dunno how to do them exactely
could u tell me perhaps
and thank u

I also have two marimo moss ball's in the tank (wich i feed with plant fertz. ) do I take them out too or they'll be fine with the salt
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 05:35 PM   #13 
DragonFish

A 100% change isn't going to take you any longer then a partial....I currently have 5 uncycled tanks, each take me only about 10 minutes(if even that)each to change.

The process is VERY simple....scoop your betta out in the cup the came in, take the tank, empty it, rinse deco/gravel/tank in warm water, set everything back up and re-fill. Be sure add water conditioner and salt(if needed). Float your bettas cup for a few minutes, empty out have the water in the cup, add some of the fresh water, let them float again for a few more minutes, then release. Thats all there is too it ;)
You CAN cycle the 5 gallon if you don't want to do full water changes...but you'll still have to do 50%s about once a week, and you'll be doing partial water changes almost every day during the cycling process. You'll also need to purchase a liquid test kit, if you don't already have one.
If your interested, I can dig up some links for you...

If I recall, plants don't do well with salt....probably want to remove them as well during treatment.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:19 PM   #14 
JaspersANGEL

Well I took the snail out of Jet's tank last night, and oh my the smell coming out of that small thing was rancid, figured it died (Jet avenged himself!! go Jet *lol*!!), so I chucked it.

Looking in at my other two boys, I noticed that my small baby Tex has scales missing too (from picking at his snail). Oh boy did I really get mad at said snail now (funny no matter how much Tex grow's he'll always stay my baby, and how attached we get to them)
And he's still picking at his snail (never imagined Tex as agresive) so tonight i'll decide what to do with his snail.

Romad has one small white spot on his head, but otherwise ok and is now ignoring his snail. So since his is the most active and nicely colored, and his tank is a bit empty I'm gonna keep that one.
Calling him Cognac!

So I'm gonna do a water change when I get home and dose Jet's and maybe Tex's tank's with salt.

Oh I need to remove the carbon from Jet's filter first!
Old 10-12-2010, 02:05 AM   #15 
DragonFish

Yeah...chances are if your snail smells, then its dead ;P

...Again, I highly doubt the snail is the culprit. They have to be scraping themselves on something.....might want to go through all your tanks and remove/replace any potentially sharp objects/plants. I find it odd this is happening with all your fish though...

You should remove the snails from the 2.5s anyway....thats way too small for anything besides a single betta and snails produce a LOT of waste.

I'm pretty sure you don't need to remove the carbon for salt treatment....how long have you had the filter media in your tank? Carbon is pretty much inactive after a week or so anyway....
And why not cycle your tank if you have it filtered? It would make water changes a lot easier...
Old 10-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #16 
JaspersANGEL

just changed Tex's tank and settled him in with salt
do can I feed them with the salt in there water
Old 10-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #17 
JaspersANGEL

ok salt bad Tex just did a coma thing on me I'm re-cleaning his tank well atleast he got his salt bath
do u know how to rid a tank of salt?

I'll just give Jet a whirl in Tex's tank since it's already salted is that ok
Old 10-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #18 
JaspersANGEL

well since Jet seems to be fine in the salted tank, i'll leave him in there for a week
and Tex is enjoying the 5 g. for the week, cause he's such a good boy. *lol* he's certainly enjoying all the plants, hopefully he'll recover from his shock soon I'm really worried.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:27 AM   #19 
JaspersANGEL

Update: Tex survived the night and is feeling much better, he is now exploring the 5 g. and even flaring a bit. Will turn off the lights in the tank soon, I still want him to take it easy tho.

And Jet is looking better already, water change for him again today.
Old 10-14-2010, 09:25 PM   #20 
JaspersANGEL

ok I have a question and it really has to be answered by tomorrow night cause that's when i do my watter changes

Jet is looking so much better some red is actually growing over the white hole should i keep him in the salted water till his head is completely better or should i return him to his home