Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #1 
jaynethefish

Question Nocturnal fish?

Hi everyone! I have a quick question about my new betta, Jayne. I've noticed that he tends to be a lot more active at night than he is during the day - I often see him napping in a shady corner of the tank during the day, but when I stay up late working, he's usually swimming all around the tank, playing in the outflow of his filter, working on a bubble nest, etc. He's not acting unusually otherwise, so is this normal betta behavior, or is it something I should be worried about?
jaynethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:36 PM   #2 
BettaGirl290

Its normal, they tend to like the dark better sometimes! :)
BettaGirl290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:46 PM   #3 
jaynethefish

Awesome, thank you! I just wanted to be sure there wasn't something wrong with him - I've had bad luck with pet store fish being sick when I got them in the past.
Old 10-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Well, Bettas are dark-water fish....their natural environment is densely planted and rather dark, which is why usually some indirect sunlight during the day is all they need light-wise.
However, they aren't nocturnal by nature...
Whats your setup like? Is he in a really bright room during the day? Does he have plants/caves to hide in?
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:26 PM   #5 
jaynethefish

He's in a 2.5 gallon tank with a cave and 6 live plants, so while it's not super-dense, he's definitely got dark places to hide. Our whole room is actually a bit dark at the moment - my dorm won't have heat until the 15th despite our current cold snap, so we've been keeping the shades down to try to insulate the room and keep it warmer. His tank is heated to 80*, though, so the temp shouldn't be causing any problems. His hood has a light, but it's not too bright, and my desk lamp and the overhead light aren't especially bright either, and neither of those really shines on the tank.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:36 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Hugh.....odd. I've never seen a betta that was more active at night then during the day in the perfect conditions...xD What a strange little man...Lol.
Another question...are you more active at night? That could be why...I know that my guys are definitly more active when I'm home and up and about in my room.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:48 PM   #7 
jaynethefish

Hmmm, not usually. My roommate and I keep pretty standard hours (both in bed by midnight or so), and he seems to be most active right as I'm getting ready to go to sleep. I have noticed that his daytime activity levels are getting a bit higher over the past few days, so maybe he just picked up some weird sleep habits at the pet store? Oh well, as long as he's ok then I don't care when he sleeps!
Old 10-10-2010, 02:05 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Lol, thats possible...xD I find my fish usually adapt to my sleeping schedule after a few days...up until about midnight, awake no earlier then eight ;)
Haha, if hes acting fine I'm sure theres nothing to be worried about at all xDD Bettas are funny little fish.