Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 12:21 PM   #1 
Welsh

Calling All British Members

Ok, so basically I'm browsing the Pets at Home website and I'm seriously considering some plastic plants, since keeping live plants alive is very difficult for me. I was wondering whether any of you have tried them before and can tell me if they would be suitable for bettas.

Thanks
Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 
weluvbettas

NOOO dont get plastic plants!!! lol Plants at pets at home are WAY overpriced! I would get get silk plants from a lfs they will probally be cheaper and you will get more.
weluvbettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #3 
Welsh

I dont mind paying alot if they are good quality and actually look good. I cant seem to find silk plants anywhere in my LFS
Old 10-09-2010, 12:56 PM   #4 
Josiee

Definitely silk over plastic unless you want poor raggy fish!
Josiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:37 PM   #5 
zelilaa

ARGGGH- why is EVERYONE against plastic plants? You guys always go for stereotypes >.> I have 5 PLASTIC plants in my 2.5 gallon tnak and they were cheap and amazing quality. As long as the plants pass the pantyhose test... your good! Sheez...

So I would go for whichever plastic plant looks good and passes the test. I prefer more leafy ones as my bettes love to swim in between the leaves and sleep in them. :3
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #6 
Tomsk

I havent bought any plastic plants from pets@home ( I seem to have the touch for live plants).IMOHO silk plants generally look better than plastic ones.The main concern people have about plastic plants with Bettas is that plastic plants can have sharp edges/points than can rip the Bettas fins.
Do you live near a pets@home? if so you could always take a piece from a pair of tights (I do prefer our saying,rather than pantyhose ) or stockings etc and drag it over your choice of plants before buying them.If the material doesnt snag on the plant then it should be ok to use with a Betta.

Tomsk

BTW I find the price of bogwood cheaper at pets@home much cheaper than my other LFS,I dont know if you have found the same?
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:19 PM   #7 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsk View Post
I havent bought any plastic plants from pets@home ( I seem to have the touch for live plants).IMOHO silk plants generally look better than plastic ones.The main concern people have about plastic plants with Bettas is that plastic plants can have sharp edges/points than can rip the Bettas fins.
Do you live near a pets@home? if so you could always take a piece from a pair of tights (I do prefer our saying,rather than pantyhose ) or stockings etc and drag it over your choice of plants before buying them.If the material doesnt snag on the plant then it should be ok to use with a Betta.

Tomsk

BTW I find the price of bogwood cheaper at pets@home much cheaper than my other LFS,I dont know if you have found the same?

Yea Bogwood is much cheaper at my local pets at home too..
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:20 PM   #8 
Tomsk

P.S
you may get strange looks as your rub a pair of tights against the plants in the shop,but at least they will be eager to serve you and get you out of their shop :P
(note to myself: Must try that in Asda on a saturday when its busy )

Tomsk
Tomsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #9 
MrVampire181

I've been using plastic for years and I've never had shredded fins.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #10 
Welsh

Do pets at home actually sell silk plants though, because I have looked everywhere and cant seem to find them lol I already knew about the plastic bits shredding fins etc but some of the plants look smooth so I was wondering whether these would have the same effect. Yeah I envy the people who can keep plants alive, the only one im successful with is java moss haha never tried java fern but I dont see a future for the plant lol