Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #1 
ForbiddenSecrets

Problem with Mini-Bow Filter?

So I've had this thing for only a few weeks and already the filter pad is giving me all kinds of problems including overflowing. I rinse it off with every water change and now about daily to keep it running right.

Anyone else have problems with this filter or hear about some?

ForbiddenSecrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:29 PM   #2 
ForbiddenSecrets

Anyone?
Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about filters. Hopefully someone will come along shortly and answer your question.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:33 PM   #4 
jaynethefish

Are you baffling your filter at all? I have a Minibow tank, and the only time I've every had a problem was when I tried to baffle the outflow with a sponge - it overflowed on me like it is for you. If you are, you could try baffling the intake part instead - that's what I do, and it keeps the flow down without the overflow problems. If not, then I'm not sure what the problem is, sorry.
jaynethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #5 
SilverCaracal

I'm not having any problems with my Minibow filter. Maybe the water level is too high? Try changing the cartridge.
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 07:45 PM   #6 
ForbiddenSecrets

Water is low enough its not causing any back up at all - not baffling it either the stupid thing just up and died on me. Getting a new filter but not their company u.u
Old 10-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #7 
jaynethefish

Sorry to hear that. I do remember seeing some complaints about them when I was aquarium shopping - it seems like a coin toss between the filter working great and not working at all.
jaynethefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 PM   #8 
SilverCaracal

I'm sorry. That must really suck...
SilverCaracal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:15 PM   #9 
BeccaBoo

I bought my mini bow about a month and a half ago and after about 2 weeks of having it, I had the exact same problem. One morning I got up and saw that the filter was overflowing. Even after replacing the media cartridge with a brand new one, it continued to do the same thing.

I had a sponge baffle on mine (I thought that could've been causing it) but even after I took the baffle off it still overflowed. I've read somewhere else about other people having the same problem, so it isn't just you. I tried calling Aqueon repeatedly and could never get in touch with anyone. Your best bet is to just replace the filter with a better one. I hated the one that came with the tank anyway, it took up too much space and it blocked the light from the top.

You should try calling Aqueon and see if you have better luck than I did. I think they've released a faulty product and they should hear about it.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #10 
ForbiddenSecrets

BeccaBoo what /if any/ were the visual signs of problems with your filter media? I'm trying to see if we had the same problem.

I cut mine apart and noticed it had grown some kind of plant life in it and re-looking on how that tank is set up I realized it was being fed directly by the warmth and light of my, well, light since it was right over it >> Stupid tank design indeed.