Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM   #11 
BeccaBoo

ForbiddenSecrets, the filter media looked "normal" to me, but I didn't cut it open like you did. I just saw that when the filter was on, the filter media didn't appear to be absorbing any of the water at all. When I replaced the filter media with a new one, it worked for about a day or two, then it started doing the exact same thing (not absorbing the water through it).

I do remember thinking that the filter media looked unusually dirty for having only been in use for a day or two. I don't know how long it usually takes for filter media to start to look dirty, as this is the first tank I've ever owned.

But after replacing the filter and that horrible incandescent bulb it came with, I haven't had anymore problems with the tank. But I guess there isn't really anything else to have a problem with, unless it stops holding water for some reason.
BeccaBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #12 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaBoo View Post
ForbiddenSecrets, the filter media looked "normal" to me, but I didn't cut it open like you did. I just saw that when the filter was on, the filter media didn't appear to be absorbing any of the water at all. When I replaced the filter media with a new one, it worked for about a day or two, then it started doing the exact same thing (not absorbing the water through it).

I do remember thinking that the filter media looked unusually dirty for having only been in use for a day or two. I don't know how long it usually takes for filter media to start to look dirty, as this is the first tank I've ever owned.

But after replacing the filter and that horrible incandescent bulb it came with, I haven't had anymore problems with the tank. But I guess there isn't really anything else to have a problem with, unless it stops holding water for some reason.
What bulb did you replace the original with? My mini bow 2.5 is being delivered tomorrow, so if I'm gonna need to replace the bulb in order to avoid filter problems I want to have some idea of what a good replacement bulb would be.
Dammerung2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:29 PM   #13 
BeccaBoo

Dammerung2010, I have a 10 watt Natural Daylight Fluorescent bulb by Marineland. I got it at Petsmart. But you don't have to use that particular one, I'm sure any 10 watt ( or less) fluorescent bulb will be fine. As long as you don't use an incandescent bulb, it makes the water in the tank way too warm, or at least it did for me.

I don't think it could have been the bulb that caused the filter problem for me. I had already replaced the bulb when I started having my filter problems. In any case, I would recommend going ahead and replacing the filter anyway, I think it takes up too much room and blocks out most of the light in the tank, and the filter was too strong for my betta. But I guess you could always put a baffle on it if the current seems too strong for your betta.

These are just a few of the problems I've had with my Mini-Bow, you may not have any problems at all. I'm in no way a fish or a fish tank expert, I just wanted to give you a few tips based on my experience with this particular tank.

Good luck with your tank and with your betta.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #14 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Dammerung2010, I have a 10 watt Natural Daylight Fluorescent bulb by Marineland. I got it at Petsmart. But you don't have to use that particular one, I'm sure any 10 watt ( or less) fluorescent bulb will be fine. As long as you don't use an incandescent bulb, it makes the water in the tank way too warm, or at least it did for me.

I don't think it could have been the bulb that caused the filter problem for me. I had already replaced the bulb when I started having my filter problems. In any case, I would recommend going ahead and replacing the filter anyway, I think it takes up too much room and blocks out most of the light in the tank, and the filter was too strong for my betta. But I guess you could always put a baffle on it if the current seems too strong for your betta.

These are just a few of the problems I've had with my Mini-Bow, you may not have any problems at all. I'm in no way a fish or a fish tank expert, I just wanted to give you a few tips based on my experience with this particular tank.

Good luck with your tank and with your betta.
This is the tank I've been stuck with until now: http://www.petco.com/product/102093/...t=FishFC_Tanks

My current tank and filter are both frustrating and awful in their own ways, so using your experiences with the mini-bow so far do you think the mini-bow will be an improvement overall from my current tank? (Not accounting for the size increase which makes it obviously better lol)
Old 10-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #15 
BeccaBoo

I know I've made the Mini Bow sound like a pain but it really isn't. I just happened to have a filter problem that (hopefully) you may not have. And you may find that the current isn't a problem for your betta but if it is, you can easily make a baffle by using a rubber band to hold a piece of aquarium foam or sponge in front of the outflow on your filter and...voila...instant baffle.

But aside from the filter problem, I've been very happy with this tank. And I definitely think it's an improvement form the one you have. I think you'll be happier with the way it looks and your betta will be happier with the extra room to swim around.

Like I said, I'm not an expert but if you have any more questions, feel free to ask.
Old 10-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #16 
Dammerung2010

Could you post a link to the bulb that you have? I can't seem to find one matching your description anywhere.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #17 
BeccaBoo

I've searched high and low and I can't find my bulb anywhere either.

The only thing I can tell you is that I bought it at Petsmart in the store, not online. I can't even find it on their website which is weird because I always see them in the store when I go there.

If you have a Petsmart or Petco near you then maybe you could try looking there. If not, you could always try Walmart (assuming you have one nearby). I'm pretty sure they have aquarium bulbs.
Old 10-13-2010, 10:51 PM   #18 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
I've searched high and low and I can't find my bulb anywhere either.

The only thing I can tell you is that I bought it at Petsmart in the store, not online. I can't even find it on their website which is weird because I always see them in the store when I go there.

If you have a Petsmart or Petco near you then maybe you could try looking there. If not, you could always try Walmart (assuming you have one nearby). I'm pretty sure they have aquarium bulbs.
Please check out my 2 links in the thread I opened, and see which of the three bulbs you think would be the best choice.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=53594
Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #19 
BeccaBoo

Hi Dammerung, I had a look at the two bulbs you were thinking about getting and I would probably go with the Zoo Med bulb from Petco. It's the one that's the most like the one I have. And it's a "daylight" fluorescent bulb which is the kind I like because it makes your tank look beautiful. It really makes the colors stand out.

I hope I've been able to help. Once you get your tank set up, I would love to see some pictures and know how everything is going. Good luck!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:59 AM   #20 
Dammerung2010

Quote:
Hi Dammerung, I had a look at the two bulbs you were thinking about getting and I would probably go with the Zoo Med bulb from Petco. It's the one that's the most like the one I have. And it's a "daylight" fluorescent bulb which is the kind I like because it makes your tank look beautiful. It really makes the colors stand out.

I hope I've been able to help. Once you get your tank set up, I would love to see some pictures and know how everything is going. Good luck!
It's been ordered and will be here early next week :].
Thanks! :D