Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-09-2010, 06:29 PM   #1 
TharBePirates

Scale Regrowth?

I just wanted to know if scales grow back their thickness. You see when I bought Gyarados he had nice, thick dragon scales. I'm pretty sure he's a cull that landed in a mom and pop petshop, I know they buy undesirable stock from other animal breeders so I wouldn't be surprised. Anywho our eyes met from across the shelf, we connected and I knew I had to bring him home, thick dragon scales and all.

Here he is the first day home.

Then The Great Ammonia Spike of 2010 happened and I nearly lost him. His scale thickness just seemed to melt off (and a few fell off) and his tail shrunk overnight. After a long, hard battle the tank never stabilized, so I put him in a hospital tank this past week and was very fortunate to be able to upgrade him to a larger tank.

After some salt baths and Hikari betta revive he got better, his tail's bigger again and he's perked up. However his scales are still very thin.

Will they every get back to how they once were? Is there anything I can do to speed up the process?
TharBePirates is offline   Reply With Quote