Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 01:03 AM   #1 
firefly0101

Exclamation Poppy and Ponyo dillema!

Okay, so I read somewhere that four or more bettas housed in a large aquarium will form a sorority, and so I put four females in a ten gallon tank. (Ponyo, Poppy, Perky and Pandy)

I got home from work tonight, and went to feed the girls and Pinyin, and I saw that almost all of Poppy's dorsal fin was torn away. And it wasn't like that this morning before I went to work.

So I filled up my iPond (horrible, I know, but it's all I have) with the tank water and scooped out Poppy, and over dosed on the Dechlorinator with Aloe Vera in it (to help reduce stress)

And now, she's sitting in my brother's room, underneath the lamp. There's parchement paper around the back of the tank, a piece of cardboard on top so that she doesn't try to escape, and the tank is on a towel.

What can I do to help her fins grow back? It's a non filtered, non heated piece of crap, with half an inch of gravel at the bottom. I mean, other then once daily water changes.

And I also noticed that Pandy and Perky's tails are looking rather torn/ eaten too. Should I take Ponyo out of the tank for their safety?

Thanks!
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 11:30 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

For really bad fin damage I get best results with 100% daily water changes with aquarium salt 1tsp/gal and oak leaf-I will usually see healing and re-growth within 3-4 days.

I like to pre-mix my salt and oak leaf or IAL in a clean 1gal jug to make water changes and dosage easier
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #3 
firefly0101

Thanks. I had to take out Pandy and Ponyo this morning because it was PERKY that was eating the other girls' fins...
I'll have to just use Aquatium salt... I know that we don't have oak leaf at work...
Thank you!!!
:D
firefly0101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feamle bettas, torn tails