Ok...i just tried to take more pictures and I just can't get a good one. Old camera probably. However, like I said I would do, I changed half the water with only adding water conditioner. At the same time, things have changed some. It seems the lump has gone down just a little and the lips look a little smaller.
Now the bad news. It looks like one side of his face is kind of rotting off. Best way I can describe it. Where that eye is, there is fairly bad popeye. He is most definately in very bad shape. Is it fungus or bacteria? Is it something specific to deal with?
Does this new info help any? Do I dose him again with the Jungle Fungus Clear? I feel something should be done now and wonder if I should have kept the medicine in there. But like I said, I can re-dose. I have read good things about the medicine for various things. This is bad.
THe only thing I know of that attacks a fish that quickly is the most aggressive form of columnaris... but I really have little idea what it could be, I would definitely try to get hold of Adastra or OldFishLady.
Beavis is still alive this morning and I'm happy about that and sad about that at the same time. I know he's suffering and I hate to watch it, but I want to still have hope. If he ain't gonna make it through, I would rather it just be done. But, we can't predict can we?
He is staying at the surface of the water for the most part. He still, of course, won't eat anything. I did decide to re-dose last night with the Jungle stuff, on the assumption that this is bacterial. My best guess with all my research is columnaris. I want to get better meds, but I already started this stuff and I don't want to mix. I think that might do more harm than good. Correct me if I'm wrong about that and that I should be getting something else.
I finally got a halfway decent picture of him that I'm posting. Thanks everyone for taking concern with this. I did message one of the experts, but I haven't heard back. I will still appreciate any input. Check the picture. It shows the side that's bad and with the popeye. You can't make out the lump with raised scales on his head, but it's still there.
I would get him in a smaller QT container, add aquarium salt 3tsp/gal and add a airstone, lower the water temp to 76F, lower the water level by half so he doesn't have to struggle to get to air, turn off the lights, no food for now
Slowly add the salt over about 2 hours-start at 1tsp/gal and increase up to 3tsp/gal
The bad bacteria hates salt, water movement, oxygenation or low water temp....so you need to create an environment the the bacteria will not thrive in yet the fish can still survive until the fish immune response can take control.
You also may want to get a broad spectrum antibiotic that covers both gram negative and gram positive bacteria-I don't use OTC antibiotic so I can't recommend anything
If this is flexibacter columnaris-
Erosion of the mouth is a common symptom of Flex.
Other things it could be is a parasite with a secondary infection
Thank you. So you're thinking, don't give the medicine already in there a chance to work? I was thinking maybe three more days to see if it does something and then move on to other if needed. Is that bad thinking? Just want to see how you feel about that.
Sounds like you do kinda think it's columnaris. At least I finally have an idea what I might be dealing with. Thanks again!
I don't know anything about the medication/products you are using...what is in it?
Flexibacter is always in our tank waiting for the right condition to infect the fish-when the fish is compromised in some way they become stressed setting them up for the infection-open wounds, poor water quality, sudden high temp are big causes-best treatment is to make the water so that this bacteria can't thrive in great numbers and in turn making the environment more suited for the fish.
Well, it has these three active ingredients - Nitrofurazone, Furazolidone, Pnotassium Dichromate. I have heard more good things on the web than bad about it..
I really don't know what compromised his immune system. I have always been very careful about keeping his tank good and clean. Testing and all that. I can say that just the night before this happened, I fed him Hikari frozen boodworms out of a somewhat newly opened packet. I think I had feed him from the new pack maybe three times before that. Contaminated maybe? I did throw the stuff out.
If you have started that medication I would complete the course as per the direction
I didn't catch what the water temp was-but I would think about keeping it on the low end of normal during the treatment-76F range
Sometimes what can trigger these type of problems- is sudden water temp changes and/or pH/nitrate swings that stress the fish and boost the bad bacteria.