Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #1 
awesomeapril

Angry cloudy water

I got a divided twenty gal. with a fliter, no need for a heater yet, gravel a few silk plants. When I change the water (treated and then cycled for a bit) with in half a day the water gets cloudy with clear wispy bits that look at bit like someone with a sinus infection sneezed in the tank... sorry that was gross but, it's the best way I know how to explain it. The fish seem completely fine. Because I had to go to work I couldn't change the water. I came back and the water was clear again. This happend twice.

The male was not relaxing at all to the fact that there was a girl next door and he couldn't do anything about it, he needed a break. I counted my losses and moved them in to separate 2 gal tanks, like my original betta is in (perfectly happy not cloudy). With the smaller tanks, I change 100% every other day and use a baster to bet out the bigger debris while changing 25% on the other days. They don't have filters. I woke up this morning and the 2 tanks were cloudy again!
I got out my water tester and the ph was 7.4 so I cleaned the tanks, tested the now clean water and the ph is 7.4. I tested the unconditioned tap water and the ph was 8!!!! I don't get it.
Additional info.
also, fish are acting normal and there is no ammonia. Also the decorations on the 2 gal tank are the same as the 20 gal (gravel and silk plants).The temp stays at 78 or a bit higher.

thanks for your help!
awesomeapril is offline   Reply With Quote