Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #1 
purplemuffin

Iguana News

anyway, big news. Nathan's parents have finally listened and are going to upgrade their iguana cage to a full size one. They used to have the poor thing in a ferret wire cage, which was aweful, but then lazily built something out of wood and class..which was still only like one foot by two feet.. Anyway, Since he's been getting heat and humidity, and they've been feeding him better, he's actually started to grow again and is really outgrowing the cage. His dad was just sure the iguana's growth had been permanently stunted from bad care, which I'm sure it is, he's still really small even though he's like three or four years old.

Well, the iguana has finally started to hit 'iguana puberty' and is starting to show physical signs of being male(the femoral pores, jowls, etc.) and the emotional signs as well(Yeouch! That tail. Hasn't done that since he was younger)
We totally thought it was a girl, seeing as how 'she' was 3 and hadn't shown any signs of developing swollen jowls etc.. I really think the slow development was because of poor care on his parent's part! They've realized this now, though...

So, his parents have agreed to let Nathan build the cage(woohoo!) and are going to pay for it(again, woohoo!)

We had some trouble finding a good cage plan, and we're both new to cage building so I want nathan to have a pretty good one...
Constructing IguanaWORLD - An Overview anyone with iguana knowledge have opinions on this as the setup?

Very happy this poor guy. It's been a long way coming, and I've been working on convincing them since I joined this website! Slowly, but surely, little by little things have changed. He's gone from a diet of lettuce and fruit to a much healthier diet(I printed out the feeding caresheet from here with the list of good foods, and since his dad views himself as a great chef he has fun creating ultimate balanced iguana salads now)... They've learned they need to keep him out of a wire cage and in a proper enclosure(a few toes and scarred nose later..) and now finally they are respecting his size.

It's sad, iguanas have always been his dad's 'dream' animal, he just never listened to the right people and did it wrong, and probably brought the poor thing close to death a few times. Before, he was convinced the iguana was probably going to die soon but he'd 'do it right' next time. Now, thankfully, he's changed his mind. This will be the last iguana they probably own. He's going to look into much easier to care for reptiles from now on. For now, he's fixing what he did wrong. A little late, though. At least it's something.

This experience has been good for me though, I've really seen first hand what happens when you don't research before getting a pet, and I don't plan to repeat those mistakes with any animal! It's sad this poor guy has gone through so much, but he is a fighter.. I'm excited to see him finally get the home he deserves!
purplemuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #2 
TigerLily

Nice link!

I'm glad to hear that the iguana will be getting a new and better space.
My dad has an iguana as well, she's still pretty young though and not yet at adult size. Right now we have her in a seventy-five gallon tank. I'm actually planning to redecorate her tank soon and exchange her baby-sized branches and sunning rocks for bigger, more interesting ones.
Eventually we'll be building her a new, large, adult size enclosure, but for now the tank is suiting her well enough. I found that link really interesting and forwarded it to my dad so he could see it too.

Keep us updated on how the project goes!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:02 AM   #3 
purplemuffin

It's a good idea to start as soon as you can, even if it means just slowly buying the parts, piece by piece! The earlier the better, and best to start with the biggest (final) enclosure... So you don't have to upgrade! ;D Woohoo!

As long as she can get her UVBs from her tank! I've heard some of the mesh is so small that they can't absorb the right amount, it all bounces off and is wasted! D8 Ugh, horror stories!

He is mostly living outside right now, at least during the nice parts of the day. He gets better UVB out there(Gosh, who knows how long since they changed that light!!) and since he's in a wire cage.. well, even if their house is set to 77, that ain't enough for a poor iggy! They wonder why he's so small, he's so cold he can barely eat!

But anyway, new home, in the process right now. We're having to size it down a tiny bit, at least in height(that cage is 10 feet tall..they only have an 8 foot tall ceiling!!) so it will be more wide than tall, I think... We're actually trying to get one of those corner styled ones maybe, sort of diamond shaped? Would fit the room better I think.

I dunno, I'm rambling! First we have to learn to build stuff..LOL! What a fun project to try it out on right??

Process as of now: Price was checked over with parents. They have agreed to pay for everything, and with enough persuasion realized we weren't just trying to milk them of all their money. Thankfully his dad had tried shopping for a big enclosure in the past, so he knows just how cheap building one is(400-800 dollars) is compared to buying one (9000 or more..) ...He's excited, that's good!

This week will consist of finalizing the plans on paper and checking our local stores to make sure we have all of the supplies in our area!
Old 10-11-2010, 10:17 AM   #4 
TigerLily

Unfortunately we can't start building her final enclosure just yet, but in about a year we'll be moving to a larger house where she'll get a nice big enclosure both indoors and out. As it is, she spends a lot of her time out of her tank during the day whenever my dad is off work.

The plans sound like they're really coming along. Will you be able to get pictures of the building process?
Old 10-11-2010, 01:14 PM   #5 
purplemuffin

OH! I wasn't really meaning you should build it now, I was rambling a bit.. I guess I mean..don't do what my friend did.. XD He built like 5 enclosures cause he didn't want to spend the money to make the final biggest one..He'd built the minimum he needed and I swear it would only last him a month.. I think he wasted thousands on those cages! XD

I should be able to get pictures if Nathan will take them! :,D I am supervising from afar..
Old 10-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #6 
TigerLily

Haha, that's allright.

I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures if you can get any!