Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #1 
MomokoCove

Breeding attempt 1

First breeding attempt.Okay well not first but for the pair I'm using it's the female's first breeding.The male carries the marble and butterfly gene.He's a blue/purple VT.The female is a slightly younger steel blue VT.Let's hope all goes well!
MomokoCove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #2 
MrVampire181

Good luck!
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:33 PM   #3 
MomokoCove

Thanks!In fact I just checked on them since I put them together a few hours ago.It appears their job is done.The nest is full with eggs and the female has slimmed down.I'm glad to see Damien is taking his work as a daddy very seriously.Since he started to chase away Persephone I removed her.I do have two other boys and two other girls though.So, if it doesn't work I may try a new pair.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #4 
MrVampire181

Don't worry, egg eaters aren't that common :)

Oh and just wondering if you sould answer these questions, just to see if your prepared:

What size is the spawning container?
Is there filtration?
Is there heating?
What do you plan to feed the fry?
Do you have a growout container to move the fry to?
Old 10-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #5 
MomokoCove

Spawning tank is a 10gallon.I'm putting filtration when the fry are old enough since I don't want to disturb the nest but I am currently using a method of gently scooping waste from the bottom with a net.There is also heating currently, and will be during the whole process(50watts heater).For the fry I'm using a feeding method I read on here.I'm doing the hard-boiled egg yolks.When they are old enough though I'm switching diets for them.And yes there will be a grow-out tank.It's either going to be a kiddy pool we bought but never used just recently or a 20gallon.So, if there is anything I need to change though please let me know right away.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #6 
MrVampire181

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomokoCove View Post
Spawning tank is a 10gallon.I'm putting filtration when the fry are old enough since I don't want to disturb the nest but I am currently using a method of gently scooping waste from the bottom with a net.There is also heating currently, and will be during the whole process(50watts heater).For the fry I'm using a feeding method I read on here.I'm doing the hard-boiled egg yolks.When they are old enough though I'm switching diets for them.And yes there will be a grow-out tank.It's either going to be a kiddy pool we bought but never used just recently or a 20gallon.So, if there is anything I need to change though please let me know right away.
Ok sounds good. The thing about egg yolk is that it fouls the water quickly. I've never used it. I prefer baby brine shrimp, it'll make the frys stomachs turn orange so it's easier to see them when you siphon ;)

Also I was thinking about useing a kiddy pool too! But my growouts are big 66 quart plastic tubs with heaters...they work great!

Last edited by MrVampire181; 10-10-2010 at 02:53 PM.