Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 03:31 PM   #1 
zebra935

Question Plastic

Hi! I'm new here. I just a a betta fish and have a 1/2 gallon tank for him a plastic plant. I was wondering if plastic toys were safe to put in with him. He just looks very, very bored. Thanks!
zebra935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:37 PM   #2 
TigerLily

Plastic should be ok, but you have to make sure there are no sharp edges where he might tear his fins. You can test this by running some panty-hose material over it and seeing if it snags.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Some plastic is okay, most is not....they usually tear fins very, very easily. Silk or live is MUCH better...

Also, I advise upgrading to at least a 2.5 gallon. Due to the fact that fish are constantly excreting ammonia through their gills(their form of urine, if you will)along with the ammonia created from their poo, a 1/2 gallon will need water changes every day to prevent the ammonia from building up to deadly levels.

Furthermore, bettas are, in fact, tropical fish and require a stable temp of 78-80 degrees F. Hes probably 'bored' because hes cold. Unless you keep your house that warm constantly, or you live in an area with a steady temp around there year round then you'll need a heater...and that requires a 2.5+ gallon tank.

It doesn't have to be expensive...a good option are Kritter Keepers from the reptile section, medium-large size. They're light, easy to carry for water changes, have a nice, secure lid, and can be safely heated with any submersible, adjustable, 25 watt heater :)
Hopefully this helps, and congrads on your new friend!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM   #4 
zebra935

OK. So i am going to put 1 or 2 toys in for him. I will probably be upgrading to a 2.5 gallon tank on Wednesday. I don't need a heater becuase in my area the temperature is constantly 77 degrees.
zebra935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:27 PM   #5 
DragonFish

77, IMO, is a little on the low side....its okay, though a little warmer is better. All up to you, but I would still suggest investing in a small heater, if anything to help keep the water temp steady. I've never been anywhere where the temp doesn't swing up or down at least a few degrees between night and day....;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote