Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #1 
derpmeister

Is he too agressive for a companion?

My betta has always been pretty agressive, I think. He flares at me and his food when I feed him, and he'll attempt to attack the gravel vacuum sometimes when I'm cleaning.

I was thinking about adding a mystery snail to his 10 gallon tank. The tank is cycled and heated to 80 degrees with 10% water changes every 3 days. Is he too agressive, should I not even bother trying? Or do agressive bettas get used to tank mates after a bit?

I was just toying with the idea. I've had mystery snails before and they're great to watch. :)
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #2 
karlhague

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpmeister View Post
My betta has always been pretty agressive, I think. He flares at me and his food when I feed him, and he'll attempt to attack the gravel vacuum sometimes when I'm cleaning.

I was thinking about adding a mystery snail to his 10 gallon tank. The tank is cycled and heated to 80 degrees with 10% water changes every 3 days. Is he too agressive, should I not even bother trying? Or do agressive bettas get used to tank mates after a bit?

I was just toying with the idea. I've had mystery snails before and they're great to watch. :)

What I do when adding anything to my tank, Is remove the betta for an hour, let the tankmate settle down (remove or use a floating breeding trap thingy magig)

Then release the betta back, and watch him like a hawk..

My betta flares at food, Attacks my fingers... Nips the white plastic spoon i soak pellets with,,

And hes absolutley fine with the endler fry i have with him, (3)
karlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM   #3 
crowntail lover

A mystery snail(s) will be fine. I wouldnt add any other tank mates in with him though
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:06 PM   #4 
SmokeNLark

I agree with everyone else. And a snail is probably the best tank mate with an aggressive betta. It can protect itself if its attacked. Just keep a close eye on him. I also think its a good idea to remove your betta, add the snail and then put the betta back after a while. Then the snail isn't as intrusive.
SmokeNLark is offline   Reply With Quote