Betta Fish Forum banner

Petsmart rips me off!

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  BettaGirl290 
#1 ·
Ok, so I go and buy 4 umbrella plants (Spathiphyllum wallisii) from Petsmart and take them home for my new aquarium. It has been about two weeks and then they start rotting, so I go and do some research online on the plant. I find out that this plant isn't even meant for aquariums, and its just being sold in plastic tubes with the roots in clear gel thats meant to be fish safe, and "snail free" on the label! I'm pretty mad, but I guess it taught me to research about the plant before you buy it...:roll:

Now I have to go and buy more plants for my aquarium....$10 down the drain...:sob:

#2 ·
Yeah, you gotta be careful with the tube plants. As you now know, some of them aren't actually aquatic.

However, I got two anubias from the same brand and system that are doing great, and I just got a "tropica fern" (which I understand is actually a Java Fern).

#3 ·
Yeah, those tube-plants are a cruel joke to people who are new to keeping live plants. Apparently Petsmart has gotten a ton of complaints about them. It's probably a safe bet that many their employees don't know the difference either, unless of course that employee is self educated on the topic.

#4 ·
Yup. AT my local petco about half of the "aquarium" plants are actually terrestrial. Not only in the tubes but in the actual tanks. It really is necessary to research plants and fish before buying from any of the big chain stores. And for the record, im pretty sure any plant with Spathiphyllum in its latin name is terrestrial. So are any of those stripey plants. Aquatic plants dont usually have bright stripes on their leaves.

#5 ·
Hmmm I use them and haven't had a problem so far.

#6 ·
My aunt has one of those and she keeps it in her living room in DIRT lol. Im sorry about your plant and money but yeah research before you do anything like that. I just bought a Ghost shrimp today and he/she looks so adorable in my betta fry tank and he/she is cleaning like crazy! i gotta research too on them because i know nothing about them.

#9 ·
I did the same thing. It sucks. Try some Wysteria instead. Mine is thriving in my tank. Plus you get about 6 plants in that little tube.

#10 ·
Yea PetsMart sux and I'm just about learning that, I got two defective heaters there, one I returned one I kept because I feel like and idiot returning another defective heater.
- I just bought three black mystery snail's, my bigger one died not even two day's in, so I tossed it. And I feel like tossing the other two dead or alive cause all my betta's got hurt by picking at them, the worst off is Jet then there's my 5 month old baby, Tex.
When I realised Tex had mising scales, I got really mad at those snails. I'm very protective of what's mine

So ya all in all PetsMart sux!

:)

#13 ·
It grows tall and fast. If it reaches the top of the tank, it'll grow across the top of the water, kinda like a floating plant. It's a stem plant, so it stays pretty thin. I have low-moderate lighting and medium hard water and it has grown like crazy.

#14 ·
Wow. I'm might get wysteria, but I know I'm getting java ferns. I've been doing online research the past ten minutes on java ferns so I don't get ripped off again. Do you have any advice about what to rubber band it to so the roots can attach themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.