Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #1 
Posaune

Hitchhikers :|

Well, today I went to the local garden center and bought water hyacinth (plus some frogbit got in there too it seems). Low and behold, I was looking into my tank watching my bettas explore the roots, when I saw this moving thingy on the divider. I look closer and discover a small snail Looking more around the tank, I discover more and more of them. So, what is everyones thoughts on this? Help or burden? Will I need to do more frequent water changes with them in there? I've read that they are a bio-burden. I just can't see myself ever being able to find all of the snails to get rid of them.
Posaune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:24 PM   #2 
Adastra

Don't worry too much about it, as long as you don't overfeed or overlight the tank, the availability of their food sources will limit their population. You will only ever have as many snails as your tank can support, after all.
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM   #3 
shell85

We used to get snails in an our old aquarium a few years ago. We were told to add a little salt and they will leave.
shell85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 12:21 AM   #4 
dukie1346

I've never had an infestation, but I've read to try and get rid of some, you can put a little lettuce/spinach on the bottom of the tank for the night, and later on you can take it out and get rid of them, although I wouldn't have the heart to even kill them. lol
dukie1346 is offline   Reply With Quote