Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-10-2010, 05:53 PM   #1 
zebra935

Question New to this!

Hi. I am a new owner of Echo, a blue Betta.( I don't know what kind. I'll post an image.) I have a 1/2 gallon tank. ( I'm probably upgrading to a 2.5 gallon on Wednesday.) I have a few questions/ problems:

1. I am feeding him 1/2 a pinch twice a day. Is that too much??
2. He seems very inactive/bored? ( I put a fake plant and a floating orange, plastic ball in, and he's moving a little)
3. I don't need a heater. It is almost constantly 77 degrees where I live.
4. Why breed is he?
5. Any other info you think I need please add!!!

Picture:

and

zebra935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #2 
DragonFish

1. Are you feeding flakes or pellets? If flakes, get some pellets...flakes aren't as nutritious, its hard to regulate the amount, and they can foul up the water quickly. If pellets, 2 pellets pre-soaked in some tank water twice a day should be fine.

2. Hes probably insecure and/or cold....get a thermometer and check and watch the water temp, just to make sure. A Thermometer is a necessary tool anyway for water changes so you can match water temps.
He could also be feeling insecure...when you get your new tank, load it with lots of sick plants and get him a little cave of sorts. The natural environment of a betta is densely planted with TONS of places to hide. The more plants, the safer he'll feel.

3. I still highly suggest investing in a heater, as I stated in your other topic...soem bettas do OK in 77, others(and most, IME)really prefer a temp of about 80. A heater will also prevent stressful temp fluctuations, which are bound to happen no matter what...unless you really keep your house sealed up.

4. He is a blue/teal Veiltail male :) Reminds me of my fist betta, very beautiful.

5. Make sure to keep up with your water changes until you upgrade ;)
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #3 
zebra935

I have a lot of marbles. Is there any why i can use them?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:00 PM   #4 
DragonFish

You can rinse the marbles in hot water and use them in your tank if you want ;)
Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #5 
zebra935

I put the marbles in.... What can I use as a makeshift cave??
Old 10-10-2010, 07:21 PM   #6 
zebra935

Can I cut open a tennis ball?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #7 
Adastra

Tennis balls are kind of fibrous and may have all kinds of weird dyes or chemicals attached to them. You can use a plastic or ceramic cup, like a coffee mug--just rinse with hot water and try to pick one that hasn't seen soap or at least hasn't seen soap in a long time. Terra cotta pots are also good caves--just make sure you plug the drainage hole in the bottom because many bettas have gotten trapped trying to swim through the small hole.

You should really upgrade to a larger tank soon, honestly, I would return that little deathtrap and get your money back so theat the pet industry won't profit from these unethical containers. Until you do upgrade, you should change the water daily.

Also, you should reconsider getting a heater. There will always be unpredictable cold snaps, and you never know, you might come home one day and really want to turn on the air conditioning. It's good to have an adjustable heater for these purposes, and also if your fish ever gets sick, you will want to have the ability to adjust the temperature up or down to accommodate whatever that may be. Heaters aren't very expensive, so I hope you consider it. You should try to get one with an adjustable temperature dial and not bother with the cheap heater pads or pre-set heaters. Here is the type I use: http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...8&pcatid=11368
Adastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:36 PM   #8 
zebra935

I think I'm going to use a pvc pipe connector for a cave right now. I can't get a bigger tank until Wednesday. Do i change 100% of the water every day?
Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM   #9 
DragonFish

In your current setup, yes. Once you upgrade, you should preform 100% changes 2-3 times per week.
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #10 
zebra935

PVC pipe didn't work out.