Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 11:04 AM   #1 
Euphie101

Really Worried Now...

Okay, so my fish, Louie, is really starting to worry me. The first week I got him, he was pretty happy, I assume. He was eating like no problem (more like a pig) and was healthy. Then about a week after getting him, he refused to eat his food. After 3 days of refusing it, I gave him bloodworms, since I was getting worried. Someone on here told me to wait, and when he got huungry enough, he'd start to eat. I've tried feeding him every day for the past 2 weeks, and he hasn't eaten anything except bloodworms. (I give them too him every week and a half he does eat.) and I've had him for about a month and a half.When I fed him bloodworms yesterday, I noticed he seemed not to be able to see them very well. He lunged at them a few times, but missed. I don't really wiggle them around, so I think he might have bad sight? But he used to be fine when trying to eat them. I don't know if maybe he can't see the pellets or something, but I think he does and he swims right past them. I'm really starting to get worried, as I don't want him to starve. Here are the questions that I'm supposed to answer:
Housing
What size is your tank? 20G
What temperature is your tank? 79 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Wardley Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I used to feed him 2-3 pellets a day, when he ate them.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50%, one 90%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:N/A
Nitrite:N/A
Nitrate:N/A
pH:N/A
Hardness:N/A
Alkalinity: N/A

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? None
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Won't eat, not accurate when trying to lunge at food
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 7? weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Nope
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Nope
How old is your fish (approximately)? Not Sure
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 AM   #2 
Oldfishlady

What kind of decoration do you have in the 20g........and he is the only fish in that tank? My first thought is he is stressed with all the space especially if you have limited items in the tank or lots of heavy filtration/water movement.

I would try QT him in a smaller container along with daily to every-other day water changes and see if that will help-try a drop or two of fresh garlic juice on his food and see if that will help his appetite.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #3 
Euphie101

It's pretty heavily planted, and I have 1 large decoration and 2 small ceramic pots (no hole on the bottom of them) and the filter is buffeted so water movement/filtration is very soft/little. I'll try the garlic juice, thanks for the adivce. :)
Euphie101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Sounds like the perfect set-up for him-with all the live plants I would decrease the water changes to 25-50% weekly and based on your water prams you may be able to decrease them even more with the bioload you have.
You would think he would feel safe with all the plants-he may be finding his own food-since his only symptom is not eating and otherwise acting fine.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote