Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-11-2010, 05:17 PM   #1 
zelilaa

Talking 20 gal long?

My dad pointed out the AMAZING sale on 20 gallon longs. They were only 20 dollars! Woooahhh! Also, last night he asked where I would have room for a 20 gallon in my room. At the store we talked about what fish I would put in a 20 gal.... and he looked at 20 gal filters & lights for like... 15 minutes! Maybe he's thinking about getting me a 20 gallon tank?!? I hope so! I doubt it because I just started in the fish hobby a month ago. But he keeps complimenting the tank and saying how wonderful I'm doing and how impressed he is... so who knows?

Anyways, It got me thinking. I would love to plan out exactly what to put in a 20 gal tank :3

I LOVE tetras, and clown loaches and of course, female bettas.

So here's my question- what would you put in a 20 gal tank? (its a long, so more surface area allows for closer to 100% stocking but i prefer to stay under 96%)

Last edited by zelilaa; 10-11-2010 at 05:20 PM.
zelilaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 05:32 PM   #2 
zelilaa

Oh, & no cory cats allowed =P
Old 10-11-2010, 06:01 PM   #3 
puppyrjjkm

I've heard clown loaches are somewhat territorial and get too big for a 20 gallon. You could do a sorority with some tetras :)
puppyrjjkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:27 PM   #4 
zelilaa

thats what i would love to do. the thing is, how can you find out who the agressive females are, and which ones are peacful so you can use them? or do you have to buy a cool one at the store a nd hope for the best?!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #5 
JKfish

When you buy your girls and are quarentining them in their QT tanks, but them by each other to see how they react. If you want to do it in the store, and see how they react to different girls, just know that they might not act that way when they are in clean and warm water and have been well fed.
JKfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 08:30 PM   #6 
BettaBoy84

long tanks are awesome...I think the shallow water is appealing to bettas too..
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #7 
zelilaa

Yup! Longs are nicer because theres more swim room. In a 20 high, there's less room for them to swim and also, you can't watch them as well.

So I'm thinking a betta sorority. But what fishies can chill with the female bettas?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 PM   #8 
BettaBoy84

well i have a bunch of corys, but i also have them in a 75 gallon tank...I have also used mystery snails (planted tank).

I find the corys clean up after the bettas misplaced and unseen food..and in the planted tank the snails are incredible with bettas...(mystery snails)

I used to have African dwarf frogs which got along with the bettas NP...they may be a great addition to your long tank, however they need medium height areas to rest on so they have easy access to surface (should be fine in your size tank)...but also require slightly different foods, or at different times, as the bettas dont let them eat until they are full.

hope this helped, pm me if you have any other questions re; sorority
BettaBoy84 is offline   Reply With Quote